The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 01, 2001, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BenGilli
Question

I was in position 1. Ground ball to short.. throw in the dirt.. definately beat the runner but the first baseball had his glove on top of the ball as the ball was on the ground. I ruled the BR safe at first because the first baseman did not have control of the ball.. he didn't lift the ball from the ground.. just had his glove on top of it.. was this the right call or did i mess it up..?
Old Tue May 01, 2001, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BenGilli
I was in position 1. Ground ball to short.. throw in the dirt.. definately beat the runner but the first baseball had his glove on top of the ball as the ball was on the ground. I ruled the BR safe at first because the first baseman did not have control of the ball.. he didn't lift the ball from the ground.. just had his glove on top of it.. was this the right call or did i mess it up..?
##########

The proper way to handle that play is to ask the first baseman to show you the ball. If it comes up clean he is out if it doesn't he is safe. G.
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

This is not a tag play so I would hesitate to ask for the ball. You just do not have the time to ask for the ball, remember this is a force out. I think you made the right call. However, if he had picked up the ball before the runner got to the base we have an out, if he picks it up after he reaches base, its safe. If he does not pick it up, we have a trap, and no control of the ball.
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 09:34pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Yupper!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
Quote:
Originally posted by BenGilli
##########

The proper way to handle that play is to ask the first baseman to show you the ball. If it comes up clean he is out if it doesn't he is safe. G.
I agree, Gee. Then we know that ball is not trapped, but is controlled within the fielder's grasp.
mick
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
This is not a tag play so I would hesitate to ask for the ball. You just do not have the time to ask for the ball, remember this is a force out. I think you made the right call. However, if he had picked up the ball before the runner got to the base we have an out, if he picks it up after he reaches base, its safe. If he does not pick it up, we have a trap, and no control of the ball.
#########

Good luck Pard.
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I may be reading it wrong but a throw CAN be trapped and the runner ruled out at first. The first baseman does not have to pick it clean just trap it against the ground. I believe the casebook (or maybe the rulebook) has the same play written and says the runner is out.
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

I don't know what rule you are refering to. For an out to be called the fielder must have full and complete posession of the ball.

They only way you can prove that is ask him to show you he has full and complete posession. If he was holding it against his chest you would have to do the same thing to prove posession. G.
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

The note in 2-9 Art. 1 (Fed.) loosely refers to the action of trapping a THROWN ball that is touching the ground.
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

I do not see FED Rules mentioned in this thread. I do not do Fed, I do REAL baseball. H/S, Legion and Summer College ball, all OBR.

If the FED allows calling a runner out when the fielder holds his glove over a ball that may be on the ground or may be in the glove, that is their problem. In real baseball you have to find out. The fielder must show control before you can call the runner out. G.

[Edited by Gee on May 4th, 2001 at 04:57 PM]
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gee
[B]I do not see FED Rules mentioned in this thread. I do not do Fed, I do REAL baseball. H/S, Legion and Summer College ball, all OBR.

In your description of the types BB you call, you
used H/S Is that for High School? If so, that is
FED ball.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

1.You are correct, I do H/S, (High School ball).
2. You are incorrect in your thinking that, because I do high school ball I must do Fed. My state does NOT sancion Fed rules. We play REAL basebaall here. We use OBR. G.
Old Sun May 06, 2001, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Major League Umpires do one quarter of their games behind the plate and three quarters of their games on the bases. Does that make them one quarter of a real umpire? G.
Old Sun May 06, 2001, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

H/S ball is warm-up time. Then the real season starts.

BTW, The war is over, I was there.