The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

One man-mechanics, umpire behind the plate, what's the best way to make a call with a close play on a pickoff attempt at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd base. It's highly unlikely that the plate ump can move towards the base, and I've seen an article by Carl, maybe in his book "51 ways to ruin a game" that suggests waiting to see the reaction from the players before making the call. Any thoughts?
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Post 2nd Base Pickoff

On pickoffs at 2B, make sure you have decided which way you are going to step (left or right) before the pitcher makes a move. I believe you do need to step one way or another or you could get screened by the pitcher/batter. As for what way to step depends on number of factors, throw handing of pitcher, right handed/left handed batter, etc. Just make every effort to get an unobstructed view of the play. As for making the calls, it is the same as a steal play. If the ball beats the runner, and the tag looks clean, we have an out. Let the baserunner explain to his coach how got his hand on the bag just milliseconds before the tag was applied.
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Pregame conference

Tell the coaches and players that you will do the best you can considering you are the only one out there. Then do that. Try to get an clear view of the play the best way you know how and them make an honest call. If you need the reaction of the players to make the call, do that. Do whatever you feel works for you, because really there is no right and wrong in this situation.

And if you have a coach that complains, tell them to hire another umpire or more and you will have a better call.

Peace
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

The best mechanic for doing a one man game is to call from behind the pitcher. You might miss some foul balls, especially if they don't run the chalk line all the way to the foul pole, no big deal.

You are in much better position to make ALL the other calls. I refuse to do them unless my pard doesn't show and when that happens I do the game from behind the pitcher. If they say no, they don't have a game and they always buckle. G.