The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

a player at the level where you umpire threw a fit and threw things onto the field like Guillen did the other night in the Nationals' game?

I think the umpire should order him to pick it up immediately. Failure to do so should result in a forfeit for his team. If his team is already losing, it should result in the forfeit of the next game as well.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

or you could just eject him, wait a second for the bat boy to pick the crap up, then move on with the game...
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Batboy

What if you are working at a level with no batboys?
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

All that information would just be put in the report and I would move on. I would have all the stuff picked up by the team of that player, but I would not look to forfeit the game as a first choice.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I've had this happen at very high levels. (NCAA players with 2000 paid attendance.)

As long as they are not throwing things at the other team or into the stands, or at the umpires, let them behave like two year olds. Stop the game and let everyone watch. Say nothing. It is entertainment. Eventually the fans will let them know how stupid they are. It is a losing proposition for you to insert yourself into this temper tantrum.

League administration will fine them for this behavior. You do not need to do anything, nor will it be held against you by your supervisor that you did nothing about it.

You are not there to supervise intra-squad problems. Only when they go after you, the other team, or maybe the fans, are you required to take action.

I once had a coach get so furious at his player for getting picked off on a 3-1 play that he started throwing equipment at him when he got back to the dugout. The hapless player ran out of the dugout and the coach threw equipment onto the field at the player. Only when he had emptied the dugout of equipment did he stop. The player reentered the dugout and the coach went out onto the field, picked up some equipment and hurled the equipment back at the player. The player then ran to the parking lot and jumped into his car and drove off. The coach was still yelling at him. My partner and I watched in silence as the coach picked up all the equipment and put it back in the dugout. The fans cheered, hissed, and catcalled throughout the performance.

Then we continued the game without saying a word.

Peter

[Edited by His High Holiness on Sep 16th, 2005 at 02:40 PM]
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Batboy

Quote:
Originally posted by harmbu
What if you are working at a level with no batboys?
someone would pick the bats up. some player would come out and pick them up, or a coach/assistant coach. like rut, i would put that into the report and move on with the game.

forefitting the game is an absolute last resort, not just because someone is being a jackass.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Well, my highest level is HS Varsity...

First I would wait for the coach to handle it. Most of them would get the situation under control, and then come and tell me they have removed the player from the game. Good enough.

If not, then I would eject the player for unsafe conduct, and politely ask for the equipment to be removed, and not necessarily by the player. But with the coaches in my area, I doubt I would ever have to intervene.

Nick
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Talking

Quote:

I think the umpire should order him to pick it up immediately. Failure to do so should result in a forfeit for his team. If his team is already losing, it should result in the forfeit of the next game as well.

And if that doesn't work, send him to his room
without dinner.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

I had an American Legion game once where the batter after being called out on strikes two times ia a row, proceed in the dugout and threw helmets and bats on the field. After it was over and the equipment was picked up I called the coach over , took out the lineup card and asked him who was replacing the batter. he went back to the bench and sent the player home.

Sometimes things are better to let the teams handle.

Making the player pick up the equipment is a job for the kids parents. Just officiate the game.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SoCalUmp Send a message via Yahoo to SoCalUmp
Quote:
a player at the level where you umpire threw a fit and threw things onto the field like Guillen did the other night in the Nationals' game?

In the words of T, hands down the worst post in the history of the internet.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalUmp
Quote:

In the words of T, hands down the worst post in the history of the internet.
And why is that?

There are many officials out there that don't fully comprehend the extent of their authority in a contest. They try to be policeman, parent, coach, politician. and then official last. And, although to some extent, there are times we have to be ready to take on those roles during a contest, that is NOT what we are there for.

Officiating is an art unto itself, having the ability to effectively deal with people is a different art. yet we are expected to be perfect from day 1, with all of this.

Those that want to become good officials, want to learn as much as possible, to maintain that perceived perfection, for every contest after the first. Having the forum to discuss how you handle situations and then learning from the discussion is a VERY VALUABLE TOOL.

Just like learning when to, and when not to, make stupid comments.