The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Today, I had a HS varsity game. The catcher and I bumped into each other twice on the throw to third. As you can imagine the coach was upset. I think that my head is right above the catcher's shoulder and this must be causing the contact. This is the position I've always used and feel comfortable with but I think I must adjust so that it doesn't happen again. Some questions that I have: Where should my head be positioned in relationship to the catcher's sholders? Should my head be completly behind his entire body in the slot position or can it be directly above his shoulder? It seems like if my head is not over his shoulders than I feel that I am not in a good position to see all the plate. In short, I feel that I am to far away from the plate when my entire head is completely behind the catcher.

Secondly, I have been told that my right foot should between the catcher's crotch but when I try to to do this it seems that my knee is bumping into his back. I usually have my right leg lined up or even to the right of his right leg. Is my stance to wide?

Thanks,

Greg

In general, I am asking where should my head be in relationship to the catcher's body? Where should my right leg be for a right handed hitter?
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
Today, I had a HS varsity game. The catcher and I bumped into each other twice on the throw to third. As you can imagine the coach was upset. I think that my head is right above the catcher's shoulder and this must be causing the contact. This is the position I've always used and feel comfortable with but I think I must adjust so that it doesn't happen again. Some questions that I have: Where should my head be positioned in relationship to the catcher's sholders? Should my head be completly behind his entire body in the slot position or can it be directly above his shoulder? It seems like if my head is not over his shoulders than I feel that I am not in a good position to see all the plate. In short, I feel that I am to far away from the plate when my entire head is completely behind the catcher.

Secondly, I have been told that my right foot should between the catcher's crotch but when I try to to do this it seems that my knee is bumping into his back. I usually have my right leg lined up or even to the right of his right leg. Is my stance to wide?

Thanks,

Greg

In general, I am asking where should my head be in relationship to the catcher's body? Where should my right leg be for a right handed hitter?
Put the toe of your left foot even with the heel of the catcher's feet. Put the toe of your right foot even with the heel of your left foot.

For width, put the right foot at about the center of the plate (I go a bit wider). Put the left foot about double shoulder width away (again, I go a bit wider).

If you can't see in this position, stay higher.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

stay higher

I vwould think you are too close to the catcher. If you are having trouble you should work the slot as stated in Bob's post. I think it helps to get wider in the slot. Most guys I see today working the box in the slot have their feet past shoulder width. With this stance it is just a short bend at the knees, keeping your back and head somewhat straight, and you are ready. If you feel you are to far away, or cannot see the plate, then you are probably too low.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

OK, now you're getting technical

The best thing we have seen with the new umpires in MLB is thier positioning at the dish.

This is a great question.

We have been taught FOR YEARS to place our feet at shoulder width . . . NOW we see that is close but not exactly correct.

If you place your feet at what I call a "double wide" everything works ohhhh, so much better.

Look at it this way:

AFTER the batter and catcher set-up . . . place the chin of your mask about 24" inside the the catcher's head.

Keep your left foot firm and stride with your right foot 180* to the right. Now go TWICE what you think it should be.

Hey, I mean your cup is showing BIG TIME baby.

With the correct timing . . . drop into position. This will make you feel "like the man" . . . . I mean i could not believe the difference I felt last year when I went this way.

NOW the ISSUE:

RH hitter, R2 stealin' third.

YOU WATCH the pitch fully, completely into the cather's glove . . . then just extend upwards (I'd say, "Stand up" but that is a little funky).

IF you really wait . . . and have the original palcement down . . . when you stand you will totally disappear from the play.

NOW I KNOW that SOUNDS funky but it works.

From the "double wide" (I apologize to Tanya Harding) you will FLAT disappear.

Now this takes two things"

Practice and,
BELIEF.

It really works . . . scared the hell outta me.

Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

[Put the toe of your left foot even with the heel of the catcher's feet. Put the toe of your right foot even with the heel of your left foot.

For width, put the right foot at about the center of the plate (I go a bit wider). Put the left foot about double shoulder width away (again, I go a bit wider).

If you can't see in this position, stay higher. [/B][/QUOTE].

In the heel-toe position that you described ,Bob, should your back leg(right leg for a right handed batter) be stiff, or should it be bent, or should you choose the stance that is most comfortable?

Thanks,

Greg
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
[Put the toe of your left foot even with the heel of the catcher's feet. Put the toe of your right foot even with the heel of your left foot.

In the heel-toe position that you described ,Bob, should your back leg(right leg for a right handed batter) be stiff, or should it be bent, or should you choose the stance that is most comfortable?

Thanks,

Greg [/B][/QUOTE]

I know I'm not Bob, but I'd like to make a couple of comments.

When you drop, do it as though you are sitting in a chair. For those of us whose thigh muscles have atrophied a bit through the years, it's going to take a few days of pain to develop those muscles again. But DO IT!

Drop and lock - find some mechanism that will enable your body to consistently drop and lock into the same position each time. Some use their arm across their belly and atop their thigh.

Make sure you have good balance. If you are slightly off-kilter, this will cause head movement and inconsistency. That is to be avoided. When you drop and lock, your head must remain completely still, and you must follow the ball with your eyes only - all the way into the mitt.

Slightly higher is always better than slightly lower. When you are working the slot, the lower you go, the more of the plate gets blocked out by the catcher's helmetted noggin. If you need to adjust, move up a bit.

When working the slot in today's baseball, there can be times when a batter can crowd the plate, and block your view of the pitcher. It is essential to watch the entire delivery, and see the ball leave the pitcher's hand. If the batter's arms are hanging in your way, gradually move over the center of the catcher in a box stance until the batter's arms are no longer blocking your view of the pitcher.

Remember to, "open the gate," on wild pitches, passed balls, and foul pop-ups behind home plate. Whichever side the catcher moves, pivot on your opposite foot, and open your body as if you were a door on a hinge.
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I like the double wide also

Greg,

I also went to the double wide stance last summer. I really like it. I saw a few guys using in MLB and thought I'd try it. It keeps me high enough to see the pitch, but I'm also inside (a good 12-20") of the catcher.

I have found that being inside helps me to see the pitch a lot better and you are never in the catcher's way on any play.

Thanks
David

Quote:

Thanks,

Greg [/B][/QUOTE]
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Pay attention.

You should be able to get out of the way, if you are paying attention to what is going on. If you realize that a runner is moving, and often times you will by just what the catcher does, you should easily get out of the way. But this also depends on the catcher, his stance, his size, and his ability.

I personally am in the box/slot stance. I am well balanced and it is very easy for me personally to move. I can move to either side and just read what the catcher does and move accordingly.

Just one way to look at it.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 10:06pm
Veteran College Umpire

I like to work the scissors because it locks me in and keeps me "higher". That allows me to stay a few inches farther away from the catcher and still see the plate just fine. It's easy to be too low, but you can never be too high. The only time I've contacted the catcher in 20 years was with a runner on second stealing with a lefty at bat and two out. A silly time to steal - caught everyone by surprise. Fortunately the catcher still threw him out so the contact was moot.