LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 11, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to goyanksgonj Send a message via Yahoo to goyanksgonj
Around The NL: St. Louisan Davis gets final series here
Compiled By Rick Hummel
Of the Post-Dispatch
09/11/2005

Gerry Davis saw the first regular-season game played in Busch Stadium in 1966 from the bleachers. "I've still got the certificate," said Davis, who was 13 at the time. Davis will see the last regular-season game at Busch from the field.

The St. Louis native and umpire crew chief, who grew up going to 30 or so Cardinals games a year before he went away to umpire school in 1976 - "I always sat in the bleachers" - has been allowed to trade his last regular- season series so that he can work the final weekend here, Sept. 30-Oct. 2.

In fact, Davis, who was scheduled to work the next-to-last series here, will be joined by St. Louisan Ron Kulpa, another umpire who also was permitted to trade assignments with a member of the Joe Brinkman crew that had been slated to work here.

Major League Baseball has made similar concessions in past years to allow umpires from a particular city to work the last game played in that city's stadium. Davis, who is here this weekend, said, "This means a lot to my family and friends.

"When you become an umpire, you're not a fan anymore," Davis said. But he added, "I'm glad the Cardinals are so far ahead (in the standings), so I'll be able to enjoy the atmosphere."