The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Can anyone remember their first year umpiring for giving advice? I did my 2nd and 3rd games today with the little guys (10 and 11yrs.)
I had three close plays on the bases and all three calls went against one particular team. I really start second guessing my call when the coaches are rambling on about how it wasn't even close.
This leads me to the question. How do you prepare to make that bang-bang call at first? What are your eyes watching for?
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Firstly,pay no attention to what the coaches
ramble on about.You will never make them all
happy,and half the time they are trying to get
into your head.The goal is to make you second-guess
yourself(sounds like it worked), in hopes that
the next one will go their way.If you missed it,
you have to move on to the next play,and forget
about that one.It happens to us all.
As for the banger at first, your eyes should be on
the bag,with your ears tuned in to the sound of
the ball hitting the glove/mitt.Learn to know which
came first,the foot or the sound.
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

just watch the whole play. let it happen, replay the situation in your head, then make a call. dont rush it, take your time and see everything then make the best call you can. after you make it, gather yourself and get to wherever you need to be next.

one of my college coaches always used to tell me (as a player) "baseball is a great game because you have a lot of time to think about the next play. baseball is also a tough game because you have a lot of time to think about the last play." dont let coaches/parents and their comments get to you. get in position for the next play and move on.
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

i guess i should have also answered the direct question about what to look for on a banger, but umpduck got it. watch the foot, hear the glove.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I would add is that, on any play, make sure that you are completely set to see the play. If you're moving when that ball and runner get there, you will have a much more difficult time getting it right. Also, once you're done seeing the foot hit the base and listening for the ball, remember to find the ball before you make your call. Look up and make sure that the fielder actually has the ball and then make your call. It's never fun to be calling out a runner as the ball is falling out of the fielder's glove.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the tips.
I guess what is frustrating for me is that on two of the three plays, I just wasn't sure of the call. Positioning got me on one. Ever have those plays that you just didn't see like you hoped you would? (everyone else in the park sure seemed to see it better!)
Something else I want to ask the veterans. Does the close call get easier with experience?

[Edited by umper on Sep 11th, 2005 at 09:28 PM]
Old Sun Sep 11, 2005, 10:35pm
Veteran College Umpire

Easier to call? Not necessarily. Easier to live with? Absolutely. The more you umpire, and/or work at umpiring, the more confidence you get. The more confidence you get, the easier the game is to umpire. But a whacker is a whacker is a whacker!
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Consider buying these booklets;

http://www.reegind.com

Nick
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

First of all accept the fact that you are horrible as a new official. (Nothing personal)

Unlike the teams playing the game, most of the time your only practice is their games. Where you go from there is entirely up to you. Clinics, umpire schools and camps, manuals. It is all out there.

When I first started, the resources were limited and in my third year I was ready to quit. I was bad. Don't take that advice. Utilize the resources available and become the best you can.

Yes it does get easier with experience. What may seem like a close call to others will become routine to you. But it is never THAT routine, that you can relax and get over confident, because then it will bite you in the you know what.

Good Luck
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

What you have to keep in mind in games at that age group is that you're the only umpire there and you're not always going to be in the perfect position to make the call.
For calls at first, i try to run a few feet up the line, stare at the bag, and listen for the ball to hit the glove / watch the foot hit the bag.
Another problem I sometimes have at that age group is that fielders don't make quick tags. In upper-level games, if the ball beats the runner, they will usually be tagged out. In little league, the ball will often beat the runner but the tag is very slow and the runner often ends up safe.
And finally, the coaches should have no bearing. I know when I first started 3 years ago I always tried to keep the coaches happy, but that's pretty close to impossible for some people. Good Luck!
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Another thing you might consider,is to find
a veteran umpire in your area that you can relate to,
and trust. Ask him to help you along the way, to be
your "mentor".
The right mentor can be invaluable to your progress
in the avocation.
And remember, the more games you work,the more
you learn from your experiences,good or bad.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umper
Can anyone remember their first year umpiring for giving advice? I did my 2nd and 3rd games today with the little guys (10 and 11yrs.)
I had three close plays on the bases and all three calls went against one particular team. I really start second guessing my call when the coaches are rambling on about how it wasn't even close.
This leads me to the question. How do you prepare to make that bang-bang call at first? What are your eyes watching for?
In addition to the good suggestions here about watching the bag, and listening for the ball hitting the 1B glove I would suggest that you not be too close to the bag. 20 feet away with a good angle is better than 10 feet away with a good angle. From 20 feet, the play does not look as bang-bang as it does from 10 feet. On the big field 30 feet would not be excessive.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
In addition to the good suggestions here about watching the bag, and listening for the ball hitting the 1B glove I would suggest that you not be too close to the bag. 20 feet away with a good angle is better than 10 feet away with a good angle. From 20 feet, the play does not look as bang-bang as it does from 10 feet. On the big field 30 feet would not be excessive.
Keep in mind that 20 or 30 feet away can end up not "looking" as good tho it is really not on, the 20 foot side especially. Some people think that if you are too far away that you will have blown that "banger" even if you nailed it. So while angle is always best, hustle will help with that distance. I think of it as a controlled hustle because too much hustle can lead to moving while making that call and possible getting you out of position for a subsuquent call.

Also keep you head in the game at all times. Tee mentioned it in an article on the paid side and I fight it myself sometimes. Get your head off in la-la land and something will happen that all the best distance and positioning will not help you with and could even mess with you on basic calls.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56

Umper,

On all plays try to anticipate where the developing play will take the ball. Move to the best position afforded to you by the timing of the play, sacrificing distance for angle is a common trick of the trade. Don't worry about what a manager may think of the distance from the play you set yourself up in, in order to see the play. Managers for some reason feel that we should have our noses stuck right in on the play to see it well. That just isn't the case. Being to close in proximity to a banger will make the play explode on you, and you will miss calls.

Set yourself before making the call. Sell the call on bang-bang plays. By that I mean if it's a banger don't be shy about the mechanic you use to signal the call. Rise up from your set position after a brief pause and hammer him out with a downward punching motion.

Always remember to do three things when calling plays. "Pause, Read, and React"

These things along with the excelent advice others have given you will help you along on your journey.

Welcome to the "Fraternity of the Men in Blue"(or black, or red, or grey, or........)

Tim.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Timing, timing, timing... which will all come with experience.