The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Tee wrote:

The higher the level of players in the game, the EASIER umpiring becomes.

Do you agree or not?

What are the factors that contribute to your beliefs?
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree
1.Higher level players see higher level umpires.
2.They also have better coaches that teach them not to argue with a close call.
3.They have a better knowledge of the “actual” rules, (most of the time).
4.The consequences of missing games after an ejection could affect their career.

Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Agree

Usually better players means that they don't pi$$ and moan about every call. These guys come to play baseball.

***Pitchers finally realize that I am not calling that spot a strike today and stop trying to get one there!***

Coaches are somewhat better.

The game basicly runs itself. You just have to make minor adjustments to keep it on track.

Not as many parents. Mostly wives, girlfriends, the player's kids.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
I agree,the better the pitcher the more strikes can be called,which moves the game along. If you have a team that makes alot of errors,or isnt very skilled it will be a long game,but with the good teams it makes my job easier,maybe not as many close plays and stuff along the lines of that if the pitcher had 6 1,2,3 inning games,but i agree 100% with tee...Better teams do make an umps job easier.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Easier, not entirely.

Sure, they execute better and make the expected plays.

They know the game and expect you to know it better.

They play hard and expect you to put the same, if not more amount of effort into officiating their game.

The minute you relax in their games ,SH&T happens and you better be prepared. Not with some lame *** excuse, because you are going to have a long nite from there.

Practice scrimmages are a lot different also.

So on the surface it may seem easier but,I have always found that for the higher levels I expect to be at the top of my game and match their performance. Look good, hustle and know the rules. Show them why I was chosen to officiate their game.

Now, you may consider that easier but, that will only be during your after game refreshment, knowing you gave maximum effort for their contest.You probably ended up working harder than you expected.

If not, you may not be invited back to do the EASY GAMES!!!
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Easier? Yes is my vote.Reason: generally better
pitching and better catching.That combination seems
to always make life a little easier and much more
pleasant.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

i agree with this.

im working NAIA college fall league games right now (some intersquads, some regular games) and love every second of it. its good competition, good pitching, good all around game speed. the coaches (typically) know what is going on and players are (usually) pretty good. i might be lucky that im getting good coaches and players compared to others at the same level, but its a good time and i find it easier to do rather than lower level games. i always love the first time behind the plate working college games after working a summer of HS aged ball too.

as umpduck just said, its definitely a more pleasant experience for me. also, as jicecone said; they are better players but expect an even better umpire, and thats another reason i enjoy that level more.

[Edited by briancurtin on Sep 8th, 2005 at 02:34 AM]
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Can't speak to MLB umpiring, but it looks pretty darn easy from the cheap seats...

But for youth umpiring, higher is definitely easier.

Lets compare Varsity vs. Frosh, from the varsity perspective;

1) As stated before, the players and coaches usually know the game better. (But they also know more of what you should be doing and what you should know.)
2) Because there are more umpires, you have a better opportunity to be in a good position to make the call (easier). And for those of you who like to bring a chair to work the plate, you don’t have to move as much.
3) With better pitching and fielding, games are typically shorter due to a higher number of strikes and outs called.
4) Less stupid stuff happens. So many umpires can (and do) get away with knowing only the basic rules.

I’ll tell you though, the few JV games (our association does not service the Frosh level) I get assigned during a season, I find very refreshing and fun. In a way, I find them less mentally taxing because it is just me out there. I don’t have to worry about my partner being in position (or selling me out when they’re not, and kick the call). I don’t have to worry about a partner blowing a call and getting everybody pissed off for the rest of the game (I’ve been guilty of this myself). I don’t have the stress of working with one of the associations Big Dogs, who does things ‘their’ way because they know better than every other umpire (and umpire’s manual) on the planet. (And then getting a lecture on why you don’t need to call obvious foul balls) And I don’t mind having to hustle my butt around the field.

Would I love to work 4 man crews with the highest level players ? You bet your old Blue Beanie I would !

Nick
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

"Usually better players means that they don't pi$$ and moan about every call. These guys come to play baseball."

Don't watch much Major League Baseball, do you?

Bob
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"Usually better players means that they don't pi$$ and moan about every call. These guys come to play baseball."

Don't watch much Major League Baseball, do you?

Bob
Well Bob, I watch a lot of MLB and I hear you. But seeing as how the closest thing that I come to MLB umpiring is when Ed Rapuano comes to visit his Dad, I cannot speak for MLB players!
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I see a big difference between D-I college in the Spring and Pro ball (Independent) in the Summer time.

1. There's no "cheerleading" in Pro ball - the players pretty much sit back in the dugout. They hardly even stand on the top step.

2. Their is a clear distinction between the manager and the base coaches. If there are any issues or discussions, it will be from the manager and NOT the base coaches.

3. Rules are easier - no safety issues, force play slide rules - etc. Game also "polices" itself so players are less likely to do stupid sh*t.

I could go on but to sum it up.... while there is less BS at the higher levels, the pressure is more intense.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 09:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco
I see a big difference between D-I college in the Spring and Pro ball (Independent) in the Summer time.

1. There's no "cheerleading" in Pro ball - the players pretty much sit back in the dugout. They hardly even stand on the top step.

2. Their is a clear distinction between the manager and the base coaches. If there are any issues or discussions, it will be from the manager and NOT the base coaches.

3. Rules are easier - no safety issues, force play slide rules - etc. Game also "polices" itself so players are less likely to do stupid sh*t.

I could go on but to sum it up.... while there is less BS at the higher levels, the pressure is more intense.
I read through this thread and I both agree and disagree with Tee.

I don't work professional baseball -- the closest I've gotten is that I've been asked to fill-in at the single A level. I work the limited amount of college ball we have in the area, which is mostly D-III.

While the baseball is better and easier to call, the "penalty" for a gross miss is much higher and can yield problems a lot quicker. So the pressure on you to call a good game behind the plate is quite a bit higher and you feel yourself working much harder at the higher level games.

This Saturday I'm putting the football stripes away and working some HS fall baseball. And I can tell you right now there will be ZERO intensity there all day. Will it be easy to call? Yes, but only because if my partner or I miss a pitch it won't start World War III. And the only arguing will come from parents "coaching" the teams, and they'll always argue at the wrong time anyway.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 12:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
...working some HS fall baseball. And I can tell you right now there will be ZERO intensity there all day.
Sounds pretty okay, Rich.
Just going out to watch a game and get paid, too?
Cool!
mick
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Rich Ives
Tee wrote:

The higher the level of players in the game, the EASIER umpiring becomes.

Do you agree or not?

IMO, this is a 2 part answer, meaning yes and no.

To the YES part.

The mechanics in a high level game are easier because for the most part as a BU you can anticipate where most plays are going and get the proper angle.

Example; R2 you are in "C" ground ball to F6. Since the ball was hit to the left side of the infield as BU you can now cheat more towards first base because R2 is NOT going anywhere unlike a low level game.

Also, the games are much quicker meaning NO marathons. The players "pcik up one another" in between innings and for the most part the game has a nice flow to it. When you have 2 studs on the hill unless we go to extra's you will be done in under 2 hours.

Now to the NO part.

In high level games, coaches are looking for "angles" or to get calls in their favor so they will "bait you more" meaning if a lefty is on the hill has a good move, the coach will try and bait you for a balk call.

Also, as Rich mentioned, there is more pressure behind the dish where lets face it you make it or break it as an umpire. I saw a film on ESPN about 5/6 yrs ago on the life of minor league umpires and you could see the stress on the face of the umpire who had the dish that day. In fact he wouldn't hardly talk to the other crew members and pretty much kept to himself until after the game.

Mistakes are less tolerable and at that level some coaches think they have "carte blanche" and can behave the way they see managers on TV when a call goes against them.

You need to keep control in every game we umpire in but IMO more so the higher the level especially if they are rival teams.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Bottom line...

The higher the level, the less BS you have to deal with, ie "rah rah" baseball, whiny coaches (especially base coaches) who don't have a clue, etc.

HOWEVER, when sh!t happens, you better have the experience to deal with it because the higher the level, the more that is on the line for both players and managers (scholarships, signing bonuses, salaries, livelihood etc).

For the most part, players and managers can tell if you can work or not within the first couple of innings. They may even test you early (a little sniper fire from the dugout or a manager may come out on you just to see if you give him the right answer). If you pass the "perception" test, they pretty much leave you alone and let you do your job - that's what is good about working higher levels of baseball. But BEWARE, you're only ONE play/mistake away from being the lead story on sport center