View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 09:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco
I see a big difference between D-I college in the Spring and Pro ball (Independent) in the Summer time.

1. There's no "cheerleading" in Pro ball - the players pretty much sit back in the dugout. They hardly even stand on the top step.

2. Their is a clear distinction between the manager and the base coaches. If there are any issues or discussions, it will be from the manager and NOT the base coaches.

3. Rules are easier - no safety issues, force play slide rules - etc. Game also "polices" itself so players are less likely to do stupid sh*t.

I could go on but to sum it up.... while there is less BS at the higher levels, the pressure is more intense.
I read through this thread and I both agree and disagree with Tee.

I don't work professional baseball -- the closest I've gotten is that I've been asked to fill-in at the single A level. I work the limited amount of college ball we have in the area, which is mostly D-III.

While the baseball is better and easier to call, the "penalty" for a gross miss is much higher and can yield problems a lot quicker. So the pressure on you to call a good game behind the plate is quite a bit higher and you feel yourself working much harder at the higher level games.

This Saturday I'm putting the football stripes away and working some HS fall baseball. And I can tell you right now there will be ZERO intensity there all day. Will it be easy to call? Yes, but only because if my partner or I miss a pitch it won't start World War III. And the only arguing will come from parents "coaching" the teams, and they'll always argue at the wrong time anyway.