Old Sun Sep 11, 2005, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

2-5-1b

Source = BRD
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Thanks for the reference to 2-5-1b.

Now I remember reading it, but it always struck me as a fly ball issue and never even thought of a ball hitting beyond that line and then going foul by traveling backwards inside that imaginary line. Yikes !

To be honest, if that happend in a game, unless you have a rule book with you to show the coaches, you would go down as the stupidest umpire of the season for calling it a fair ball (even though it is).

Hoping it doesn't happen to me...

Nick
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
Thanks for the reference to 2-5-1b.

Now I remember reading it, but it always struck me as a fly ball issue and never even thought of a ball hitting beyond that line and then going foul by traveling backwards inside that imaginary line. Yikes !

To be honest, if that happend in a game, unless you have a rule book with you to show the coaches, you would go down as the stupidest umpire of the season for calling it a fair ball (even though it is).
I said earlier that I have never seen it happen, but if I did, and called it foul I would not try to show it to him in a rule book. I would also not take kindly to being called stupid, that's personal (one of the 3P's). "Coach, you can look it up when you get home, and apologize to me next time you see me, but today you are gone..."
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Calling a ball foul as soon as it hits in foul territory.. HMMMM me thinks that someone is confused with football or basketball amongst some other sports.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Check out rule 2-5-1b. It's a "nice to know rule" but I have never seen a ball land beyond this line and then spin into foul territory before reaching 1st or 3rd.

I've seen it happen (once). A popup fell fair about a foot short of 1B and 5 feet fair, then spun foul. Though it did fall behind the 1B-3B line, I was greatly disappointed that I still had to call it foul. We were playing OBR rules.

A couple of nights ago, I thought I was finally going to get to make a call I have always wanted to make. Line drive off the pitcher's plate bounced directly back toward home plate. I was preparing to make the foul call of a lifetime, but the catcher stepped in front of the plate and fielded the ball (then threw it away).

Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:30pm
Veteran College Umpire

Wink

Doesn't this discussion hint at a TWP? It's one of those rules that's in the book because it did happen, but the odds of it happening regularly enough to be overly concerned with are...well, you might know it, but to quote it chapter and verse - my preacher doesn't even know the Bible that well .
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
First;

DG, that is a great quote, "Coach, you can look it up when you get home, and apologize to me next time you see me." if the situation presents itself next season, mind if I use it ? Hopefully I wont have to use the, "but today you are gone...", part. Actually, that did happen. A coach last season argued a Batter Interference call so emotionally, that a picture of us ended up on the front page of the Sports section of that townÂ’s newspaper. The next game, he said, well, you were right, but at least I got a picture of us in the paper !

Second;

So what if a ball lands at the base of the center field fence, hits a rock and goes foul between 1st and Home Plate (exaggeration). This rule, that if the ball lands beyond that line, "it's Fair", seems like a way to give players who can't hit the ball hard enough to get it through the infield a chance to get a base hit (exaggeration). Don't they have nicey, nice rules like that in T-Ball, where building self esteem 'is' important ? As usual, I think the OBR rule is just fine.

[Edited by nickrego on Sep 14th, 2005 at 01:36 AM]

Nick
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So what if a ball lands at the base of the center field fence, hits a rock and goes foul between 1st and Home Plate (exaggeration).
It's fair, under all codes. I'm not sure I understand your point.

Quote:
This rule, that if the ball lands beyond that line, "it's Fair", seems like a way to give players who can't hit the ball hard enough to get it through the infield a chance to get a base hit (exaggeration).
It seems to me to be an attempt to define "beyond first or third". That phrase isn't defined in OBR. I'm just guessing that some arguemnet came up in a FED game and this is the definition they chose. You might disagree with the choice, but at least it's clear.

Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First;

DG, that is a great quote, "Coach, you can look it up when you get home, and apologize to me next time you see me." if the situation presents itself next season, mind if I use it ? Hopefully I wont have to use the, "but today you are gone...", part. Actually, that did happen. A coach last season argued a Batter Interference call so emotionally, that a picture of us ended up on the front page of the Sports section of that townÂ’s newspaper. The next game, he said, well, you were right, but at least I got a picture of us in the paper !

Sure, help yourself to the quote. The only reason The "but today you are gone" part was added was because the poster said the coach called him stupid.