Thread: bad day
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by BenGilli

I had a very poor outing the other day. I had the plate for a JV baseball game. Firts time behind the plate this year.. Lets just say that I think it was the worst performance I have ever had as an umpire. My question is.. how does one during a game, when they know their best stuff insnt there,adjust and make the best out of this bad situation, and then for the next game, how does one get over their bad performance, and come out on top again

Everybody has a bad day. The thing to do is learn from it. The first game of the season behind the dish is difficult.

As Rich stated, umpires need to get their timing down. It's no different than ballplayers trying to get their timing down. One thing that might help in the future is to umpire some scrimmage games before the season starts so you can work on your timing.

Do not let one game drag you down or it will play on your mind the rest of the season. You performed a good evaluation on yourself, so learn from it. Also, ask your partner for some constructive feedback as to what pitches you were having the most trouble with. Were you staying down long enough or coming up too quickly?

As they say Live and Learn

Good luck!

Pete Booth