The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Friend of mine was telling me about this situation. Tournement game using MLB rules. R1 and R2. The game goes into a 1-1/2 hour rain delay. When the game resumes the runner that was on first is now on second and the runner that was on second is now on first. The umpires nor the teams realize the mistake. The umpires put the ball in play and the pitcher throws a pitch. The defensive coach now realizes that the runners are in the wrong order and he brings this to the attention of the umpires. They rule that since a pitch has been made that they are leaving the runners where they are. Two questions. First how would you have ruled on this and second what would you have done if the defensive coach had appealed this before the pitch was made. One thing I learned from all this is to write down everything when I have a rain delay including the numbers of the runners and which base they are on along with the other info I would normally write down.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Since it was after a rain delay, I'd just put the runners where they belong.

If it was after an offensive conference, or a pitching change, or I thought the offense did it on purpose (even after a rain delay), call R1 out for passing, call R2 out for running the bases in reverse (this *is* a travesty of the game) and EJ the coach, if needed.

FED has an interp to this effect.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

I can see one of two things happening when the "error" is recognized: 1) the offensive coach will be either "Oh-my-God" appologetic or 2) he will act completely uninterested as if he has no clue that there is a concern or that he is aware that the defense and the umpires are having a conference.

My response to #1 will place the runners back in their appropriate positions and play ball. I will assume it was an honest mistake.

My response to #2 will be a wary one. Any other acts of ignorance from the defensive coach will likely be the hat-tipping clue that this switch-eroo was intentional. As Bob said, if I feel this "error" was made intentionally to gain a running/scoring advantage, there are going to be three ejections. And then, if they still have enough players and a ASSistant coach, we will continue.

Got caught this time, Coach. See-ya! Heave-ho.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Bob, where is the Fed ruling to be found?
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Rule 10

Quote:
Originally posted by my3sons
Rule 10 has several references about putting runners where they belong etc.,

And since no action had taken place that would affect the game putting them back is easy.

PU should be scolded for not writing it down also.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by my3sons
Try the 2002 or 2003 Interps. If that doesn't work, try the 2001 or 2000 interps.