The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Had opportunity this week to call Dixie Majors (Legion ball groups) World Series and had a first.

F1 comes to mound with red sleeve on his pitching arm, but nothing on the left arm. Seems he had designed his undershirt that way.

Problem is there is nothing on the other arm.

Coach of team at bat wants it removed. Well its not white or gray (HS rule), but we're using OBR rules and we have 1.11a-2.

We were going to allow it, but coach wanted to protest and the protest committee said it was okay.

However, I want to get it right since the team will be playing again tonight.

We read the rule in OBR and I think the confusing part is that it says "any part of the uniform" that is exposed shall be a uniform solid color" but it doesn't say undershirt so we were thinking it applied only to the uniform/jersey.

But, as I read further today,

BRD says "all undershirt sleeves must be about the same length and of a solid color."

FED, NCAA, and OBR all concur according to BRD.

One of the umpires said in post game that one of the TX pitchers in the CWS this year was wearing a sleeve of some type but I did not see it or know anything about that.

Just needing some input, as I stated this was the first time I've seen this one.

Thanks
David

Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

I have seen MLB pitcher who wear one long sleeve.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Personally, i always thought the uniform sleeves had to be of equal length.....
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

In PRO Ball, undershirt sleeves must be uniform in length. Also, pitcher can not wear one of those elbow sleeves on one arm and not on the other. Either both or neither so that it they are "uniform" (same)
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
I have seen MLB pitcher who wear one long sleeve.
Pedro tried it this year and got told to make them the same length.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

We were going to allow it, but coach wanted to protest and the protest committee said it was okay.

I guess if I was the coach I'd send my pitcher and team out with white long-sleeved undershirts. When someone tried to complain I'd point out that the rules don't prohibit it, and in fact that it meets the rule, and I'd remind them that they allowed something that IS prohibited.

It would be worth the protest fee just to hear their convoluted response.

For lurkers, the rules read:

a) (1) All players on a team shall wear uniforms identical in color, trim and style, and all players uniforms shall include minimal six inch numbers on their backs. (2) Any part of an undershirt exposed to view shall be of a uniform solid color for all players on a team. Any player other than the pitcher may have numbers, letters, insignia attached to the sleeve of the undershirt. (3) No player whose uniform does not conform to that of his teammates shall be permitted to participate in a game.

b) n/a

c) (1) Sleeve lengths may vary for individual players, but the sleeves of each individual player shall be approximately the same length. (2) No player shall wear ragged, frayed or slit sleeves.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives

I guess if I was the coach I'd send my pitcher and team out with white long-sleeved undershirts. When someone tried to complain I'd point out that the rules don't prohibit it, and in fact that it meets the rule, and I'd remind them that they allowed something that IS prohibited.

It would be worth the protest fee just to hear their convoluted response.

For lurkers, the rules read:

a) (1) All players on a team shall wear uniforms identical in color, trim and style, and all players uniforms shall include minimal six inch numbers on their backs. (2) Any part of an undershirt exposed to view shall be of a uniform solid color for all players on a team. Any player other than the pitcher may have numbers, letters, insignia attached to the sleeve of the undershirt. (3) No player whose uniform does not conform to that of his teammates shall be permitted to participate in a game.

b) n/a

c) (1) Sleeve lengths may vary for individual players, but the sleeves of each individual player shall be approximately the same length. (2) No player shall wear ragged, frayed or slit sleeves.

That's the part I found interesting. In NCAA and FED they limit with no white and grey (for FED only) sleeves that are long, but in OBR, there is NO opposition.

But BRD does add that if one wears the long white, they all must and that's for professionals only.

Thanks for the help
David