The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

First off, I'm not advocating this mechanic, nor am I solidly dismissing it.

During our preseason field mechanics meeting in the spring of this year a new optional mechanic was discussed by our mechanics instructors. These instructors are in contact with several minor league umpires (few of which instruct at some east coast mini-camps) and have discussed this mechanic - so you don't think the local umps are pulling this mechanic out of their arse. I would say at least 3/4 of the organization has attended mini-camps, at least one umpire has gone to pro school, a third umpire college ball and 3 or 4 have umpired Minor League AA (fill-in basis for local team). These guys are fairly sharp and I've learned a lot from them.

A little background. This organization works a "box" behind the pitcher with runner(s) on, opting for angles and being set on plays versus being closer to a play. For example, my previous organization had us "drifting" toward the bag where the play is being made. Now we (typically) move towards the mound, turn with the play, set and call it (and pivot, set and call it if there is a second play).

Until this year, the approved mechanic was for the PU to take R1 into 3B. The instuctors proposed an option mechanic for the BU to take the 2nd play on R1 going into 3B. The justification for the optional change was that the BU is in the "box" and able to pivot with the play, is already (capable of) making multiple calls and if the ball gets by 3B, the PU is at the plate for the play.

Ironically, or so I thought, not one of the umpires I worked with this year opted to use this mechanic. Neither did I.

So long as the umpires know what their coverages are, I don't see a huge issue. I remember some "more experienced" umpires looked down on the BU working in the "B" with a runner on 3B and 2 outs when I started out because, "that's not how they were taught" - now it's almost routine to see.

So what's your thoughts...
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F
Until this year, the approved mechanic was for the PU to take R1 into 3B. The instuctors proposed an option mechanic for the BU to take the 2nd play on R1 going into 3B. The justification for the optional change was that the BU is in the "box" and able to pivot with the play, is already (capable of) making multiple calls and if the ball gets by 3B, the PU is at the plate for the play.

Are you talking about a clean single or a ball that stays in the infield (e.g., a bunt where R1 keeps going, or a grounder where the throw gets past F3)?

On the single, PU at third makes more sense.

On the ball in the infield, BU makes more sense.

JMO, of course.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Are you talking about a clean single or a ball that stays in the infield (e.g., a bunt where R1 keeps going, or a grounder where the throw gets past F3)?

On the single, PU at third makes more sense.

On the ball in the infield, BU makes more sense.

JMO, of course.
[/B]
I was recounting a ball hit in the infield, but I'm sure they were including a clean single. They were saying that only one play can be made at a time and with the positioning of the BU in the "Box" he is capable of making those calls.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Where do you live that all calls on bases are made from a little "box" behind the pitcher?
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Macaroo
Where do you live that all calls on bases are made from a little "box" behind the pitcher?
Silly me. It's not a little box. The rectangle "Box" extends from a line between a typical "B" and "C" position to a parallel line behind the back of the pitcher's mound.

{so much for trying to be clever with a diagram}

On balls hit to the outfield the BU (if in "B" or "C" typically moves closer to the mound, reads the play and then gets in position/angle if a play develops. My previous schooling had me drifting to within 20 feet of a base to make a call and much closer to 2B on fly balls into the "V".

[Edited by Matthew F on Jul 28th, 2005 at 01:04 PM]
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

Matthew:

Nothing you are talking about hasn't been done before.

Starting in the 1970's both professional and high school mechanics have flipped on this mechanic.

For years the "Advanced mechanic" was the the PU to rotate to third for the second call. The "standard" mechanic was for the BU to take the second call.

Sometime around 1980 those designations were reversed. Someone decided that one was easier than the other so they flopped.

In a discussion with NAPL the following was conveyed to me:

"Plate Umpires were found to be leaving the BR activities too soon.

"It was found that in order for the PU to release to head to third they were giving up basic responsibilites of fair/foul, running box issues and even swipe tags and the pull of a foot.

"IF the NAPL believes, as we teach, that we support "angle over distance" then it is only correct that the BU make the original call at first and the second call at third.

"In advanced two man crews we allow the team to select the process. Most have selected to stay with the BU making both calls."

------------

Now I am not trying to poach your thread but we also have a difficulty with the following play in two man mechanics.

Play:

R2 only with BU in "C".

Batter squares to bunt and misses the pitch.

F2 throws to second to try to pick R2 off.

As balls heads for second base R2 takes off for third.

So what we have is the BU turning into the diamond as the catcher's throw passes him. As he squares to second he then recognizes the runner has taken off for third. (Remember "most" BU's will have also taken a couple of cross over steps heading to cover the pick-off attempt.)

Now the BU must continue to pivot until he faces third base and is, most likely, straight lined after his movement to second for the initial play.

The only answer, by the manual, is to quickly attempt to gain angle by moving towards a point half way on the base line of third and home, square up and hope you see something.

Following the "Old Style" mechanics (much like your original thread starter) the PU could be sitting there waiting for the play.

We know there are compromises in the two man mechanic system.

Communication and teamwork can simplifiy issues. But sometime you just have to umpire.

Good question.

Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Bump

Bump, Matthew did this answer your question?
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: Bump

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Bump, Matthew did this answer your question?
Yes sir, I believe so.

With R1 on 1B and a batted ball to the infield, the PU's primary responsibility (after fair/foul) should be the BR. By having the BU take a possible second play of R1 to 3B, it reduces the tendency of the PU from abandoning his BR responsibilities too early. While I don't recall this specific benefit being mentioned when this mechanic was introduced, I think it's another excellent reason for it.