The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

I was accusesd of not hustling in an AAU 15 yr olds game. I am BU. R1 and R2 no outs. I am in C. Batter hits a little dribbler between the mound and first base. Pitcher fields the ball and throws to first. I call out on a banger. I made the call from a little to the first base side of the mound between the mound and second. I did not get closer because I waited to see what base the pitcher was going to. I have blown calls before but I have never been accused,until now, of not hustling. Should I have been closer to first?
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 06:08am
M.A.S.H.

Who accused you of not hustling?
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

I was accused of not hustling by the coach whose runner was called out.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
That was not an accusation, that was a rat, whinning on the sideline.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
squeek squeek

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 08:03am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Of course..... As long as you felt like you had a good look at the play, which it sounds like you did, then I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, it should be noted that I certainly wouldn't be hearing another word out of this coach for the rest of the game.

Gotta love summer baseball!
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 08:05am
M.A.S.H.

Re

Of course it would make it even better if the coach was in the 3rd base dug out.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Should I have been closer to first?

First off forget about the coach whose call it went against.

To answer your question.

It all depends upon your pre-game with your partner.

Generally speaking, the PU if there is no runner on third base will take the SECOND play at third base. This allows the BU to "cheat" more towards first base because he doesn't have to worry about making a subsequent call at third should R2 take off after the throw to F3.

If I am the PU I will tell my partner (again nobody on third) that I will take the second play at third whenever we have R2 or R1/R2 so that the BU can get in Prime position for a banger at first base.

If your partner the PU stays stationary and wants you to take ALL calls on bases 1 thru 3, then you DO NOT have the luxory of "cheating" and then have to "split the difference"

Summary: Do not pay attention to coaches comments and when a coach makes it "personal" like telling you you are not hustling then tell the coach "Skip let's see you hustle on the way to the parking lot"

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Should I have been closer to first?

First off forget about the coach whose call it went against.

To answer your question.

It all depends upon your pre-game with your partner.

Generally speaking, the PU if there is no runner on third base will take the SECOND play at third base. This allows the BU to "cheat" more towards first base because he doesn't have to worry about making a subsequent call at third should R2 take off after the throw to F3.

If I am the PU I will tell my partner (again nobody on third) that I will take the second play at third whenever we have R2 or R1/R2 so that the BU can get in Prime position for a banger at first base.

If your partner the PU stays stationary and wants you to take ALL calls on bases 1 thru 3, then you DO NOT have the luxory of "cheating" and then have to "split the difference"

Summary: Do not pay attention to coaches comments and when a coach makes it "personal" like telling you you are not hustling then tell the coach "Skip let's see you hustle on the way to the parking lot"

Pete Booth
Prime position for a banger? Kidding, right? It's not like there's a tag to worry about (provided the throw is good).

The OP did good -- get to the working area, wait for the throw, and adjust to the throw.

And a coach telling me I needed to hustle would get himself ejected pretty much immediately.