The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:32pm
M.A.S.H.

... I might add that I feel I have been for American League games, so I could really careless. But, I was wondering if any of you have got put on such a list not for what you done wrong but for what call you got right which wasn't popular (which is kind of the boat I feel like I'm in).
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
... I might add that I feel I have been for American League games, so I could really careless. But, I was wondering if any of you have got put on such a list not for what you done wrong but for what call you got right which wasn't popular (which is kind of the boat I feel like I'm in).
Local league asked me not to come back for enforcing the rule that a non-adult can not warmup a pitcher without a mask, and cup (FED). They claimed he was a coach, but he was still 16 years old, warming up in a 13-14 league. It happened several times always with the same team, and they always claimed they had approval from the commmissioner and I was the only one who brings it up. I have not lost any sleep over it. I will never work there again.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you work games it is going to happen to all of us at some point. It is really not that big of a deal. You probably passed up many fields and leagues to go work the one that put you on such a list. I have yet to meet any umpire or official that has not been banned from some place. Sometimes it is in your best interest to not go back to a place where not only you are not wanted, but the people that banned you get what they deserve. They will get umpires that do not know the rules or do not hustle.

Sometimes the coaches and league directors get exactly what they deserve.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Well,

First, I agree whole heartedly with scratches.

It is fine IF there are rules.

In our area any coach can scratch ONE umpire with no questions asked. If a scratch happens during the season our assignor assigns the scratched umpire to the next road (away) game that coach has that we assign.

I don't want to go anywhere I am not wanted.

True story:

I was scratched from one school for 34 years in baseball and basketball even though I did not live in the STATE during most of that time.

This coach, who became AD, used his single scratch each year on me. When told I was not even a member of that group he would say: "What if he moves in during the season."

BTW, I would have scratched me under his view TOO!
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

my view on being blacklisted

like the inscription on King Solomons ring says......."this to shall pass"..........

I think it is near impossible to go through an umpiring career and not run into some form of black list, scratch list or another....In the early days, I know I was held off some games due to my inexperience...(rightfully so)......and later held off some games due to past conflicts with a manager or coach........(growing pains)...

I remember talking to a very senior member of my chapter at that time and being concerned about being blacklisted/scratched......He told me:

A. If your going to be in umpiring long term, that some conflict going to happen.... nature of the beast, comes with the territory........handle it.......deal with it or get a new hobby...

B. Unless you live in a area totally unlike most places......there are never enough umpires....one game, one team or one school that does not want your services wont kill you....or your career.....

C. You will still be umpiring long after the coach is gone....Perfect example......I called a balk on a coaches son and the coach did not like it.....he told me Id never work in that league again.......I still call that league, and he has been gone for years...........

I like Tee's comment " I dont go where Im not wanted".....and I take it to heart......I actively check my game diary and work with my assignor to rotate my scheduled games so that I do not habitually work the same teams.

If I have been to a town or school too often I move to other assignments because familiarity sometimes does breed contempt..... I don't want to be considered the hometown umpire. I recently turned down a summer league championship game just because my son had played for one of the teams in the game over 3 years ago.

What I saying is manage your business........and it will turn out all right.....one day you will find yourself on a game where you are on one coaches black list and the others championship reccomendation list........and the truth will be somewhere in between both....

Stan

[Edited by piaa_ump on Jul 19th, 2005 at 12:20 PM]