The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I've been told that "every" umpire has that one team that no matter how good you are or how well you call that they just think that you cannot call worth a lick. Miss one pitch and by golly you've been inconsistant all night. Miss a banger and you're screwing them!

I have that with one of our large schools. I had a horrible game behind the plate in my early years. I have improved a ton since then but no matter what they always seem hung up on that one game. I have also had a run in with one of the coaches that is the head coach during summer ball which added to the issue.
I think part of problem at this point now is that I get "more geared up" if I have to call them and it throws me off my normal mind set with calling. I have called much better teams and much worst with no problems so it is not the supposed high level that they play.

Any advise on how to get over this notion? Do you scratch them or let them scratch you if it is a school and that "practice" is out there? Do you just avoid them for a year or 2?

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I've been told that "every" umpire has that one team that no matter how good you are or how well you call that they just think that you cannot call worth a lick. Miss one pitch and by golly you've been inconsistant all night. Miss a banger and you're screwing them!

I have that with one of our large schools. I had a horrible game behind the plate in my early years. I have improved a ton since then but no matter what they always seem hung up on that one game. I have also had a run in with one of the coaches that is the head coach during summer ball which added to the issue.
I think part of problem at this point now is that I get "more geared up" if I have to call them and it throws me off my normal mind set with calling. I have called much better teams and much worst with no problems so it is not the supposed high level that they play.

Any advise on how to get over this notion? Do you scratch them or let them scratch you if it is a school and that "practice" is out there? Do you just avoid them for a year or 2?

Who is controling your games, you or them? Right now, it seems as though they have the power over you.

If you have prepared yourself to the point that you are hustling, making the correct calls, and are truly in charge of your game, then your past mistakes should no longer be a factor. When you can get over what has happened in the past, and go out on the field with the attitude that you are in charge and nothing is going to sway that, then you have truly progressed. Show them that your not going to put up with their personal problems and do the game.

Remember, they have to put up with you, you DON'T, have to put up with them.

Having said that, be as professional as you can be at all times and conduct the game by the book, which gives you the ultimate authority to ask those that are going to try and ruin YOUR GAME, to leave.

Good Luck
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

I have had my share of mistakes in games. I have learned from them. I do not make the same mistakes again ( or work very hard at that anyway ). When I do a game, any previous history is just that - history. I have a mindset that I am going to do my best game each time I hit the field. I NEVER allude to a previous game with coaches or players before, during, or after the game. If approached about it, my patent answer is, " I do so many games I hardly remember one from the next , sorry " and I move on.
Previous advice is most correct.
You control the game and the teams.
Don't let them control you.
Good Luck!
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Power is not the issue here. I go out and try to call my best every game, so that is not the issue either. It is just one of those things where if they perceive the call to be wrong they act like it is the norm.

Prime example. Summer ball they cut the games to 1:45 time limit. The other night, we started the 6th with 30 minutes to go. The top of the 6th was a pretty quick 1-2-3 inning. The bottom the pitcher walked the first 2, was replaced and after that it was a 3 run inning. It was my thinking that going to the 7th should not be a problem. I happen to look down at my watch and we were 2 minutes past at the end of the inning. I call ball game. The coach got pissed talking about burning pitching and that I should have called ball game when the home team went ahead, yaddah yaddah yaddah. I told him there was still time on the clock when they went ahead as we went thru a couple hitter after they took the lead. I also told him we were only a couple minute over so maybe 5 or 6 pitches were thrown at the most. He then snipped about that is one more thing with everything else I have done.

So sure I did not stop the game the second time ran out. We let the last hitter finish hitting anyways so my thinking is time went out with the last hitter in the inning up anyways. But it does support the thinking that I cannot be right with anything, with them, based off his comments.

I agree that history is just that, history. But I also want that respect from people that when they see me walk on a field, they know I will work hard and call a good ball game. Am I wrong for thinking that and just go with the attitude of to hell with everyone and I am the Suddam Hussain or Hitler of the ball field??

My point is when you walk on the field it can lead to a long night when they think "this guy sucks", even if you don't. If continuing to work hard and to call a good game does not fix the issue then what?? Let them scratch me?? Do I scratch them and keep out of the situation for a couple years?? What is the best way to handle this??

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Start dumping guys until they get the hint. I have been in your shoes. Conference tournament. Called a borderline low pitch a strike on the very first pitch of the game. Someone from the "troublesome" teams dugout hollers, "DON'T START ALREADY". BOOM!! BYE BYE!! Starting shortstop. They got the hint real quick.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb toughen up!

Quote:
Power is not the issue here. I go out and try to call my best every game, so that is not the issue either. It is just one of those things where if they perceive the call to be wrong they act like it is the norm.

Prime example. Summer ball they cut the games to 1:45 time limit. The other night, we started the 6th with 30 minutes to go. The top of the 6th was a pretty quick 1-2-3 inning. The bottom the pitcher walked the first 2, was replaced and after that it was a 3 run inning. It was my thinking that going to the 7th should not be a problem. I happen to look down at my watch and we were 2 minutes past at the end of the inning. I call ball game. The coach got pissed talking about burning pitching and that I should have called ball game when the home team went ahead, yaddah yaddah yaddah. I told him there was still time on the clock when they went ahead as we went thru a couple hitter after they took the lead. I also told him we were only a couple minute over so maybe 5 or 6 pitches were thrown at the most. He then snipped about that is one more thing with everything else I have done.

So sure I did not stop the game the second time ran out. We let the last hitter finish hitting anyways so my thinking is time went out with the last hitter in the inning up anyways. But it does support the thinking that I cannot be right with anything, with them, based off his comments.

YOur first statement tells me that the problem is not with them - but with youself.

You said that if they perceive it to be wrong that's the norm?

My comment is "who is listening to the fans or the coach?"

I don't worry about what a coach says, my job is to umpire. Now if he crosses the lines and steps on the field, then I will deal with him, but his little quips in the dugout etc., are completely ignored.

You have allowed this coach to run over you for so long, that you are looking for something from them. Simply do your job, don't talk to anyone, and leave the field immediately when the game is over.

Your example of the game ending is an example - why were you talking to the coach? I say, ballgames over and I leave. If he wants to say something I'm gone - the other way.

Completely ignore this idiot coach and he will realize he can't get at you and he will leave you alone.

And, if a coach is this much a nag, I would eject him the first chance I got. Then he can scratch you if he wants.

I would never scratch myself from a game, that to me is the ultimate challenge as an umpire - to show them that I'm a very very good umpire.

Hope that helps
Thanks
David
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Huskerblue
Start dumping guys until they get the hint. I have been in your shoes. Conference tournament. Called a borderline low pitch a strike on the very first pitch of the game. Someone from the "troublesome" teams dugout hollers, "DON'T START ALREADY". BOOM!! BYE BYE!! Starting shortstop. They got the hint real quick.
So the teams now says "this guy sucks and he is an a&&hole too." And to boot, you proved their point. Oh well!
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

First of all, I've seen many inexperienced umpires go out of their way to be friendly and conversational with coaches...my only guess is they do this to try and create a "friendly" relationship and to avoid BS during the game. Fellas, that doesn't work...it only makes you MORE approachable during the game. You aren't there to make friends, laugh, carry on, chit-chat or whatever. Be polite, answer any questions directed to you, but other than that your focus is what's ON THE FIELD. Not in the dugout. Not in the stands. Call the game. After its over, leave.

As for the history you might have with a team, some coaches (and I use that term loosely) attempt to intimidate umpires. No matter what, tell yourself you will call the game as YOU see it and no amount of comments are going to change how you see each pitch, or each play in the field. I've told coaches that before, "Coach, I don't expect you're going to agree with this call but our discussing this isn't going to change this call OR any for the rest of the game. Let's play."

It's much easier to blame someone ELSE (umpires) for your shortcomings (that coaches team losing), than to admit you just got beat and move on.

You're in charge of the game. Make this clear at the outset by calling "PLAY", saying "let's have a batter!" when the batter is even just a few seconds in delay getting in the box. Ask coaches to close gates, pick up bats, run down foul balls and show them YOU'RE running the game. If they don't want to cooperate, they deal with the circumstances.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Am I wrong for thinking that and just go with the attitude of to hell with everyone and I am the Suddam Hussain or Hitler of the ball field??

Hitler is a bad example. Joseph Stalin is better. You need to study the history of the Soviet Union from 1923-1953. Stalin was a master of maintaining control. Enough history for a moment.

Every good umpire has a coach or team who does not like him. Stuff happens. Stalin never worried about being liked. He only worried about control and he did anything and everything to maintain that control. Let me give two case histories, one of which is my own.

There is a top umpire in my organization who had a problem with a coach. (This umpire is on a D1 conference staff and does regionals. He's a big, big dog.) He did everything to try to correct this problem. I believe that he even took the coach out to lunch in order to iron out their differences. (College coaches have influences over college umpire careers. It is a fact of life. This umpire wants to go to the World Series.)

Nothing worked. My organization eventually lost the contract with this university in part because of this one-on- one conflict.

The lesson here is that nothing that you do is likely to work. The pabulum that was posted by someone earlier in this thread about doing a good job and all will work out is just that, pabulum. Stalin recognized this factor in his own career so he executed all of his problems and never even tried to work them out.

All the great dictators of the world terroized the populace into "loving" them. Look at Saddam Hussein. Prior to his downfall, all of his subjects talked about how much they loved him. Only after the dictators are out of power do people's real feelings come out.

What is the lesson for umpires? Just this. Terrorize them into pretending that they like you. In return, you will pretend to respect them. (Then you will come here and call them rats!)

Let me give you an example from my own career that can have practical applications.

There is a powerful high school coach who is also a sometimes Legion coach and Summer wood bat (NCAA) coach in my area. I saw him on a Varsity field for the first time in 1996. He was on several umpires' short lists of people that they did not get along with. All in all a real a$$hole.

Anyway, I had my first game with him and I was on the bases. The plate umpire was someone he did not like or respect and this umpire (I found out later) did all manner of things to try to get along with this coach. Like so many before him or since, nothing worked. This coach used all attempts at burying the hatchet as a sign of weakness to be exploited.

I new nothing about this coach because his school is an hour away from my house and at that time, I did not concern myself with knowing the coaches or anything about them. What he did not know about me was that 1996 was the year I selected to see how many ejections I could have.

Anyway, early in the game, my partner came to me on a call that this coach was having a fit about. My partner was trying to apease the coach to no avail. (This call was about a tag up at third which of course I had no clue about. The BU has no responsibilty for touches of 3rd base in two man mechanics since the BU is the one calling the catch/no catch in center field.) The coach made a derogatory comment about my not having my head in the game. I decided that he was my next victim. I never like to eject someone over one of my calls. I like to plan the ejection for something that has nothing to do with one of my calls. (I discuss the reasons for this in my long series "Creative Ejections")

Anyway, later in the game, the coach came out to talk to his pitcher and instead of going into right field where I belonged, I hung aroung the mound. I quietly said something to provoke him (a coach replacing a pitcher is never a happy camper anyway) that no one heard and when he loudly responded, I dumped him. He went nuts. This was one of the high school games of the week with scouts and about 300 paid attendence. It was a scene.

Later that summer, I was doing a Legion game and I had had a real bad day at work. I drove to the field with the idea of starting some trouble. At the plate conmference, (I was PU), I did not recognize this coach although I think that he recognized me. What I did not know was that he detested the BU who he thought had cost his team a regional high school final in 1990. (This coach carried long grudges.) Anyway, this stupid umpire, (who is now dead and probably reading this from up in heaven) tried to appease this coach during the game.

In order to show up the hapless umpire, the coach would run out onto the field and contest every close play. Instead of dumping him, the umpire would calmly explain the play to the hyper coach. It was embarrassing. The second time this happened, something clicked in my mind and I remembered this coach. I made a decision that he was going to be my victim. (Read my series as to why I try to plan ejections in advance. I do not like spontaneous ejections. I also like to eject people that a lot of umpires have problems with. It's easier to defend.)

In about the 5th inning, the coach went out to talk to his pitcher. Instead of giving them a reasonable amount of time, I strode out to the mound after about 10 seconds and authoritatively asked if he was done or going to make a change. He said "I'm not done yet." I said "Then are you making a change?"

He forcefully reiterated "I'M NOT DONE YET!" With a big wide sweeping hook and a huge grin on my face I said "NOW YOU ARE!!!!!!" as I ejected him. The following scene was very ugly. We went chest to chest and my worthless partner was no where to be found. Finally a couple of fans came onto the field and got the coach off the field.

This ejection had long repercussions, the best of which was that since everyone (coaches especially) heard of it, I was left alone.

Six months later in the middle of Winter, I was in a bar and this coach came in. He walked over to my table and there was a scene. It started up where it had let off six months earlier. My assignor witnessed this confrontation and at my suggestion, does not send me to any more of this coach's games. In 2001, this coach was causing problems and my assignor threatened him by saying "If you don't behave, I'm sending Osborne back to do your games." I have not been back so he must have calmed down. I have told my assignor that if he ever sends me their again, there will be ejections so if he does not want a problem, he better keep me away from there.

This coach is also a sometime coach in summer NCAA level leagues. It is harder to stay off of those games because there are fewer teams and many fewer umpires that are qualified to work them. The coach primarily has used surrogates to go after me and I unload them by the bushel basket. We had one scene where a confrontation started before the plate conference as I walked onto the field. At the plate conference I warned the assistant that came to the conference that the pre game fireworks better not continue. (This coach was not even in attendance at this game. He fired up his team with hatred for me which is evident even when he's not there.) Anyway, the assistant did not adequately convey my message so I dumped two of his players in the top of the first. (Read my series on why ejections are better very early in the game. I try to avoid them in the 7-9th innings.)

The bottom line is that there is very little you can do to mend fences with people who do not like you. The best that you can do is to call a cease fire. Like Stalin, they pretend to love you and their venom only comes out after you die and cannot hurt them anymore.

Some final points:

1. I am not necessarily recommending that an umpire go looking for trouble. Even in 1996, my best year for ejections, I chose my targets and my games very carefully. Do not start trouble with coaches who are nice guys or teams who have no bad history.

2. Try to stay away from games where you suspect that there may be trouble. It does your career no good to have too many confrontations. When an assignor offers you a game where they may be trouble, ask him if he wants an ejection. Put it back on the assignor. If he insists on sending you to a game after you have warned him, try to oblige him with an ejection. He will get the message.

3. Appeasement does not work. The time to be more aggressive, not less, is with the people that do not like you.

4. Stay off the plate with teams that you have problems with. For them to start trouble with the base umpire, they have to come to you. They will look like the aggressor.

5. I work a lot of three man. Before the game, I find the dugout of my problem team, and request the BU position on the opposite side of the field. They have to make an extra effort to come after me.

6. I finally have a cease fire with this NCAA team because the coach has been gone for a few years. I do not do much high school ball any more where he still coaches.

7. Smart coaches do not carry things to the extreme of the coach is this piece. Stalin and Saddam do not allow people like this coach to live. You should not allow these types to live in your games even though other wimp umpires allow them to survive in theirs and even try to appease them.

8. Notice that in this piece, that I chose my enemy. It works better for your career to chose your enemies rather than to have them chose you or to just sneak up on you.

Peter

[Edited by His High Holiness on Jul 13th, 2005 at 01:02 PM]
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ahh Peter, good to see that old flame still burning. I could almost see the fury in your eyes, from in between your words.

So there you have it Cowboy. You can be passive, conservative, kiss-a$$ or dictatorial. Either way, you have to be in confident and in control of your games.

As Peter has already alluded to, you choose the person, place, time and terms. Most of the time, you'll win the battle.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Where is "Creative Ejections".

After reading HHH post, I feel like I should just shut up.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Not me, not me!

Jim said:

"Power is not the issue here."

I umpire for power and money.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orioles35
Where is "Creative Ejections"?
http://baseball.officiating.com/x/article/3320

You'll have to pay to see all of each article.

-LL
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

where do we draw the line for dumping fans in summer ball?
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Dude - nice hijack-attempt. I suspect you'll get no response to your non-sequitur from most of the respected and/or big-dog umpires here unless you make that a separate thread.