The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Learned a new term today... Slug Bunt.

My son (12-year old) has a new Allstars coach this year from out of the area. An opposing player squared to bunt then pulled back to slap at the incoming pitch. This new coach about threw a tizzy... "That's a Slug Bunt! He's out! That was a Slug Bunt!"

The umpire, and nearly everyone else, said "A what?"

Anyway, the new coach came from Washington's Tri-cities area and was familiar with the Cal Ripken league there. From what he said this Slug Bunt is an illegal manouver and the penalty is that the batter is called out. "They are very serious about it in Cal Ripken League. Especially on a smaller diamond. The fielders all come in to get the bunt and then the batter slaps a hot hit at them. They could get hurt."

Okay. Well it is not illegal here.

I found it kind of funny. Has anyone ever heard of the term Slug Bunt? Is it really illegal in some leagues?
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Who you calling a slug, dude?

Bob
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I found it kind of funny. Has anyone ever heard of the term Slug Bunt? Is it really illegal in some leagues?
Yes. Yes.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Was exposed to the term when I first started to coach All Star teams 6 years ago.

Several leagues have this term, particularly with the 10 year old group just as you said as a safety issue.

We also have some leagues which require the players to wear a facemask on their batting helment and pitchers to wear a heart guard when on the mound.

Rumored that fastpitch softball pitchers may have to wear a helmet/facemask at lower age groups (7-8th grade) even though they play by fed rules.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Yep

Same for Calvin ball here in CT, except we call it a Slash Bunt... and it will get both the player and his manager ejected! Re: safety issue. When I played LL in Ohio we didn't have this rule. I remember getting knocked off my feet half way up the third base line :-) Caught it too... or probably more correctly it stuck in my glove while I tried keep from having a hole drilled in my chest. Some things just stick in your memory! Here's a thought; do you think this rule was driven by the wide use of Al bats?
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Yep

Quote:
Originally posted by Saltydog
Here's a thought; do you think this rule was driven by the wide use of Al bats?
I sure that has something to do with it. Just as did the move to BESR bats.

A strong 12 year old swinging a light stick can do some damage to a charging cornerman.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

I have never heard the term, and never umpired or coached in a league that forbid the tactic. Another world I guess.

Why would the hazard of a 1st or 3rd baseman coming in closer on a fake bunt be concern enough to put a rule in, vs. a pitcher who pitches from 46 feet, every pitch?
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Good point

DG,
I never thought of it in that context. Even though I've used that logic in the past to explain to mom's and dad's why their little Sandy Koufax wasn't pitching was because he couldn't protect himself with his glove. Maybe it has to do with an really on the toes guy can get in a lot closer than the pitcher? (Two day ago, saw F5 beat F2 to a bunt that hadn't even made the grass. Right out in front.)
Now ya got me thinkin'
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: Good point

Quote:
Originally posted by Saltydog
DG,
I never thought of it in that context. Even though I've used that logic in the past to explain to mom's and dad's why their little Sandy Koufax wasn't pitching was because he couldn't protect himself with his glove. Maybe it has to do with an really on the toes guy can get in a lot closer than the pitcher? (Two day ago, saw F5 beat F2 to a bunt that hadn't even made the grass. Right out in front.)
Now ya got me thinkin'
I never had a pitcher who was not as good with his hands as the 1b or 3b man. Had some who could not hit, but none that I would not pitch because I was concerned about line drives back to the mound (not concerned at all about bunts). I recall one time fielding a question during a game from a mom about why her son did not ever play infield. I told her he did not yet have the hand-eye coordination for it, and as I was explaining this a line drive was hit directly at the 3b man who was playing even with the bag. He caught it, right in front of his face. I turned and looked at the mom, and never heard another word out of her. The 3b man was my son, who was taking a break from catching, in a game we had a big lead.

[Edited by DG on Jul 4th, 2005 at 01:35 AM]
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

DG,
You've been luckier than me. Two years ago when I was coaching I had two kids with great arms AND could throw strikes! (Geez, for U10 I'm happy if they can just throw stikes.) But neither could catch their own butt with their glove. But, believe it or not, I had same sitch as you. Mom asked before game. I gave similar answer to yours, except added that for me it was a safety issue (plus I pointed out how my nose wasn't exactly straight), then half way through game line drive right back at pitcher that nearly takes his glove off! No more questions from mom. Guess 'seeing was believing'.
Take care,
SD
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up SlugBunt

Learned the slugbunt, practiced it and say it used to perfection several times, from JH ball through HS.
Sac bunt situation, after taking a pitch in the bunt stance usually, you see the defense's rotation or you know there tendences, if 2nd goes to cover 1b and SS goes to either 2nd or 3rd it leaves a lot of open space up the gut. The slugbunt in order to work correctly must be sold as a bunt, the bottom hand simply comes up in a choked up grip, the bat comes back, hands come back to about shoulder height and the ball is slapped, basically a 1/2 swing, not a full swing by any means. (Like playing pepper) All you want is to put the ball somewhere out around short or 2nd I've never seen a 1st or 3rd sacker fooled by a batter squaring and then pulling back for a full swing, they are looking at the batter right?
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Am I on the wrong site ?

I thought this was officiating.com. I don't remember seeing Tom Emanski authoring any articles nor have I seen Fred McGriff endorse this site.

Maybe I just missed the memo.

Doug
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

You did miss the memo.

This is now eteamz II where we discuss bunting strategy.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
You did miss the memo.

This is now eteamz II where we discuss bunting strategy.
Not really, the original question was what is this and is it really a rule. Actually someone explaining when and how they used it is not really a bad thing as it put further knowledge in the head of the umpire and the reaction can be one of familiarity not surprise. Now would this surprise me? No, but it may others.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I respect your opinion,cowboy, but...........

I don't see how SLAS post was the least bit informative to an officiating site. JMO

Doug