Thread: Slug Bunt
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: Good point

Quote:
Originally posted by Saltydog
DG,
I never thought of it in that context. Even though I've used that logic in the past to explain to mom's and dad's why their little Sandy Koufax wasn't pitching was because he couldn't protect himself with his glove. Maybe it has to do with an really on the toes guy can get in a lot closer than the pitcher? (Two day ago, saw F5 beat F2 to a bunt that hadn't even made the grass. Right out in front.)
Now ya got me thinkin'
I never had a pitcher who was not as good with his hands as the 1b or 3b man. Had some who could not hit, but none that I would not pitch because I was concerned about line drives back to the mound (not concerned at all about bunts). I recall one time fielding a question during a game from a mom about why her son did not ever play infield. I told her he did not yet have the hand-eye coordination for it, and as I was explaining this a line drive was hit directly at the 3b man who was playing even with the bag. He caught it, right in front of his face. I turned and looked at the mom, and never heard another word out of her. The 3b man was my son, who was taking a break from catching, in a game we had a big lead.

[Edited by DG on Jul 4th, 2005 at 01:35 AM]