The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

The batter swings and misses third strike. The ball pops out of catcher's golve(not sure. I see the ball caught between her knees. I signal strike for an out.
Is this a correct call?
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottbono
The batter swings and misses third strike. The ball pops out of catcher's golve(not sure. I see the ball caught between her knees. I signal strike for an out.
Is this a correct call?
Did the catcher (her?-this is baseball forum) display control of the ball? If so, as I understand it is a catch if it did not hit the ground.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this a correct call?
No. This is an uncaught third strike.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Is this a correct call?
It is not uncaught. The ball is still in flight. It just has not been caught yet.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Quote:
Is this a correct call?
Gordon,

Actually, we don't yet know whether this third strike was properly caught or not. It depends what happens next. If the catcher were to gain secure posession in her hand (or glove) from between her knees, it is most certainly a caught third strike. If she doesn't, it's not.

JM
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Definitions

Quote:
Is this a correct call?
It depends. Read the definition of a catch and then apply that to the play.

What F2 does next is what matters, but simply caught between the knees, its not an out - yet.

thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Quote:
Is this a correct call?
It is not uncaught. The ball is still in flight. It just has not been caught yet.
The ball is in flight, between her knees? It may not be caught yet, but it is not in flight.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is this a correct call?
The ball is in flight, between her knees? It may not be caught yet, but it is not in flight.
DG you idiot.

I thought you were above messing up simple definitons.

I suggest you read the definition of what "In flight" is, and check back with me.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is this a correct call?
DG you idiot.

I thought you were above messing up simple definitons.

I suggest you read the definition of what "In flight" is, and check back with me.
I don't need to read "in flight" to know that a ball between the knees is not in flight.. Like I said, it may not be caught yet, but definitely not in flight.
What's your problem, one too many, or one too few?
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I don't need to read "in flight" to know that a ball between the knees is not in flight.. Like I said, it may not be caught yet, but definitely not in flight.
Obviously you do need to read the definition.

So a ball that is not in flight can not be caught, correct? So a line drive back to F1, and the ball somehow lodges itself between his legs. He then grabs the ball, and puts it into his glove. Are you calling this a no catch?

IN FLIGHT describes a batted, thrown, or pitched ball which has not yet touched the ground or some object other than a fielder.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
Quote:
Quote:
Is this a correct call?
Gordon,

Actually, we don't yet know whether this third strike was properly caught or not. It depends what happens next. If the catcher were to gain secure posession in her hand (or glove) from between her knees, it is most certainly a caught third strike. If she doesn't, it's not.

JM
I was just answering the question as it pertains to the timing of the call.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Obviously you do need to read the definition.

So a ball that is not in flight can not be caught, correct? So a line drive back to F1, and the ball somehow lodges itself between his legs. He then grabs the ball, and puts it into his glove. Are you calling this a no catch?

IN FLIGHT describes a batted, thrown, or pitched ball which has not yet touched the ground or some object other than a fielder.
IN FLIGHT is not defined, the words are just used in the "CATCH" definition. You are interpreting it to mean a pitch that has not hit the ground yet (ie wedged between the knees is still in flight). I am interpreting it to mean "in the air", as "flight" is a generally accepted word to mean "in the air". Nowhere did I say that a pitch that was once in flight but is now wedged between the knees is caught. It is not until secured by the hand. Your additional example is superfluous. The original example was similar, just different players and you changed it from a thrown ball to a batterd ball.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Well Gawdamm. What a stupid argument. You both know the freakin rule. You both agree that the ball is both not caught and not uncaught, and that the next action by this girl catcher who has sneaked onto the baseball field is crucial to the answer to the question.

So why the heck are you arguing? Good grief.

To answer the original post, the correct call is "Strike". Call the out when it becomes an out (when our oddly gendered F2 gains possession).
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Yikes!

Mr. Crowder I am surprised.

After I took all the effort earlier this spring to intone at length about working a high school baseball game that did not only have one girl playing, nor two girls playing but THREE girls playing for one team.

I mean Mr. Bono (don't know if he says it like Sonny or the way of the most overrated rock singer of all times) wouldn't THINK of placing a SOFTBALL question on here.

I mean afterall, there is a SPECIFIC area for softball questions, isn't there?

Hey mcrowder, I'm with you on this one.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
IN FLIGHT is not defined, the words are just used in the "CATCH" definition. You are interpreting it to mean a pitch that has not hit the ground yet (ie wedged between the knees is still in flight).
I am not interpreting anything. Read the damn definition of "In Flight". What do you mean it is not definied? In flight is right after infield fly, and right before in jeapordy.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I am interpreting it to mean "in the air", as "flight" is a generally accepted word to mean "in the air".
That is incorrect. Read the definition of in flight.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
[B Nowhere did I say that a pitch that was once in flight but is now wedged between the knees is caught. It is not until secured by the hand. Your additional example is superfluous. The original example was similar, just different players and you changed it from a thrown ball to a batterd ball. [/B]
I know you didn't say that the ball is caught. But if a ball is not in flight, it can not be caught.

Here is the definition:

"IN FLIGHT describes a batted, thrown, or pitched ball which has not yet touched the ground or some object other than a fielder."