The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Bottom of 7th. Tied score. Bases loaded no outs. Pitcher comes set but briefly. I give him benefit of the doubt. His coach hollers to him to make sure he gives a good set. Very next pitch he rolls thru it so fast, from C, I see he does not even get his pitching hand into the glove. "That's a balk! Time" (fed rules) Award home. Ball game. What fun!

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Bottom of 7th. Tied score. Bases loaded no outs. Pitcher comes set but briefly. I give him benefit of the doubt. His coach hollers to him to make sure he gives a good set. Very next pitch he rolls thru it so fast, from C, I see he does not even get his pitching hand into the glove. "That's a balk! Time" (fed rules) Award home. Ball game. What fun!
Hmm...me wonders how he was going to even pitch the ball. Any b!&ch from the coach?
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Balks

Quote:
The one thing I've learned/noticed about balks in my 25+ years of calling baseball.

If a pitcher balks, (don't sweat it too much), he'll do the exact same thing again in a few pitches.

So if I miss one the first time, just wait and watch, he'll do it again and I can get him the next time.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

That's funny about your quote, that phrase has popped into my head many a time when doing one of those blowouts that just can't seem to make run rule...
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

David B. has got it nailed........

I cannot agree with David B. more.

If they balk before, they will do it again (and again, and again)

Doug
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Quote:
Hmm...me wonders how he was going to even pitch the ball. Any b!&ch from the coach?
Actually yes. He tried saying I was being inconsistant in not calling it "all game as he did it 87 times" He actually "did it 3 times. One in the 6th that I did not get a good look at. Since my partner did not call I figured he did not do it and I ws not going to call it since I did not "see the whole play". The second time was the one I gave him the benefit of the doubt and then the 3rd time I got him on it.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Just out of curiousity

Has anyone watch David Wells pitch lately, he never stops his motion with a guy on base, brings hands together, slowly works down to waist and pops back up to pitch, NO Balks called that I have seen. Are there others that balk every time in MLB?? Or I guess I should more likely ask, who else balks every pitch in the MLB?

Just an interesting observation, and one I wonder is prevelent in MLB or is it one of those, you've been in the league forever, here is a bonus?
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Wells has been rung up before, I recall that either early this year or last.

Im sure Mr Davidson loves to work his games
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Balk-a-Day Bob popped into my head while reading the Wells post as well.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
Wells has been rung up before, I recall that either early this year or last.

Im sure Mr Davidson loves to work his games
I'm sure that he knows who will call what as far as balks and that he adjusts accordingly.

With umpires that let it go I'm sure he fudges. with guys that will call it I'm sure that he's a little more obvious.

Thansk
David