The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I was reading the definition of terms in OBR. I have either used most of the words or atleast new of the words and meaning. Until I saw this one.

The BATTERY is the pitcher and catcher.

Does anyone know the history behind this? Why are they called the Battery?
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Just a guess, but it could come from the military term "battery" which since the 18th century referred to the segment providing the most fire power, the cannons.

I'm surprised this is new to you. I've heard and used the term since I collected baseball cards as a youth.

Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

The orgin of the pitcher and catcher being termed BATTERY has its origin in telegraphy, the pitcher being the transmitter, and the catcher.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

....sorry and the catcher being the receiver.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

An intelligent umpire would have used the "edit" button.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
An intelligent umpire would have used the "edit" button.
True. And .....?
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

From the "New Dickson Baseball Dictionary:

The explanation offered by Richard G. Knowles & Richard Morton (Baseball, 1896) is that the term "has its origin in telegraphy, the pitcher being the transmitter, and the catcher the receiver." However, Henry Chadwick (Technical Terms of Baseball, 1897) clearly implies a military source when he gives this definition: "This is the term applied to the pitcher and catcher of a team. It is the main attacking force of the little army of nine players in the field in a contest." Most later attempts to pin a history on the term have alluded to this comparison to a military artillery unit. Later on, Frank J. Reiter (The Sporting News, Jan 18, 1940) wrote: "It may possibly have arisen as follows: General Abner Doubleday, the founder of baseball, being a military man, may have originated the phrase. As the word 'fire' is a military command, and as the pitcher literally 'fires' the ball to the plate much in the same manner as a field artillery battery fires a cannon, this may have prompted the name of a military unit to be applied to the pitcher and catcher."
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
From the "New Dickson Baseball Dictionary:

The explanation offered by Richard G. Knowles & Richard Morton (Baseball, 1896) is that the term "has its origin in telegraphy, the pitcher being the transmitter, and the catcher the receiver." However, Henry Chadwick (Technical Terms of Baseball, 1897) clearly implies a military source when he gives this definition: "This is the term applied to the pitcher and catcher of a team. It is the main attacking force of the little army of nine players in the field in a contest." Most later attempts to pin a history on the term have alluded to this comparison to a military artillery unit. Later on, Frank J. Reiter (The Sporting News, Jan 18, 1940) wrote: "It may possibly have arisen as follows: General Abner Doubleday, the founder of baseball, being a military man, may have originated the phrase. As the word 'fire' is a military command, and as the pitcher literally 'fires' the ball to the plate much in the same manner as a field artillery battery fires a cannon, this may have prompted the name of a military unit to be applied to the pitcher and catcher."
Cool.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Baseball and the automobile?

I would like to suggest some very interesting reading related to this discussion. Just one of many websites avilable on the internet, the following text was copied and pasted from this link: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/doubledy.htm

(START of COPY)

John Thorn of Kingston is a nationally renowned baseball historian and author.

'I think Abner Doubleday is a nice father figure for the game,' he said. 'For historians and students of the game, it's no more helpful than Santa Claus, Zeus or the Easter Bunny.'

Thorn readily acknowledges that Doubleday distinguished himself with many great accomplishments during his lifetime.

'One of these accomplishments is not the invention of baseball,' he said. 'It's kind of like George Washington and the cherry tree. It draws a useful legend for children and it has a sweet sound to it for adults.'

(END of COPY)

Now if this were true, I believe any future historian would be politically correct to re-write their own revisionist version of baseball history. He may also add Abner Doubleday to the list of popular baseball myths. Then he may re-write the history of baseball to coincide with any other major deveolpment of the industrial age; i.e. the development of the electricity, the automobile, etc.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Cool Light up Indicator

Battery, doesn't that make my clicker light up?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.