The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I have another balk question, yes i know everyone is probably tired of seeing all of these questions but i need help. This is 14-15 rec league playing under high school rules. While the pitcher is on the rubber he has his hans seperated he decides he needs to scratch his head so with his glove on his thigh he places the ball in the glove, removes his hat and scratches his head. he then reaches into his glove and grabbes the ball. seperates, and the comes set about letter high. is this a balk? I thought it was so i called it but later i was talkin to a fellow umpire and he thought it would not be.. thanks for the help

IURef
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

In high school rules (NFHS), you betcha- balk.

Case Book:

6.1.2 D
6.1.3 D, E,

Now if it was an OBR game, i don't believe that he balked at all. Please correct me someone if he did.

[Edited by largeone59 on Jun 24th, 2005 at 03:08 PM]
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

"...he has his 'hans' seperated..."

Okay, but where was his 'fritz'?

Bob
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Well by rule

Quote:
Originally posted by IURef
I have another balk question, yes i know everyone is probably tired of seeing all of these questions but i need help. This is 14-15 rec league playing under high school rules. While the pitcher is on the rubber he has his hans seperated he decides he needs to scratch his head so with his glove on his thigh he places the ball in the glove, removes his hat and scratches his head. he then reaches into his glove and grabbes the ball. seperates, and the comes set about letter high. is this a balk? I thought it was so i called it but later i was talkin to a fellow umpire and he thought it would not be.. thanks for the help

IURef
You could call it a balk by rule, but I wouldn't.

I would simply tell him that he needs to step off and scratch.

Even if a coach was watching, he's probably not going to say anything. If he does, then you can always call it the next time.

Makes it simple and then you're not OOO.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
In high school rules (NFHS), you betcha- balk.

Case Book:

6.1.2 D
6.1.3 D, E,

Now if it was an OBR game, i don't believe that he balked at all. Please correct me someone if he did.

[Edited by largeone59 on Jun 24th, 2005 at 03:08 PM]
Think about what the pitcher did. Even in an OBR game this is a balk.

F1 had his hands apart. He then brings his hands together. He then seperates his hands and does not pitch.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhh yes yes. You're right.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IURef

IURef
14-15 yr old rec league?

I definitely would do 1 of 3 things.

Ignore it.

Call time.

Shoot myself, if I call a balk.

Come on guys , lets get serious here.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I think just telling the pitcher to make sure he steps off since it is just a rec league is the better direction. High School playoffs I would call the balk. Much more serious there.

I have called a balk in a playoff tourney on a pitcher for coming set amd then he moved that made it look, to me, like a start and stop, when in actuallity he leaned to spit.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.