The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Im Stumped (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/21016-im-stumped.html)

IURef Fri Jun 24, 2005 01:46pm

I have another balk question, yes i know everyone is probably tired of seeing all of these questions but i need help. This is 14-15 rec league playing under high school rules. While the pitcher is on the rubber he has his hans seperated he decides he needs to scratch his head so with his glove on his thigh he places the ball in the glove, removes his hat and scratches his head. he then reaches into his glove and grabbes the ball. seperates, and the comes set about letter high. is this a balk? I thought it was so i called it but later i was talkin to a fellow umpire and he thought it would not be.. thanks for the help

IURef

largeone59 Fri Jun 24, 2005 02:01pm

In high school rules (NFHS), you betcha- balk.

Case Book:

6.1.2 D
6.1.3 D, E,

Now if it was an OBR game, i don't believe that he balked at all. Please correct me someone if he did.

[Edited by largeone59 on Jun 24th, 2005 at 03:08 PM]

bluezebra Fri Jun 24, 2005 02:16pm

"...he has his 'hans' seperated..."

Okay, but where was his 'fritz'?

Bob

David B Fri Jun 24, 2005 03:44pm

Well by rule

Quote:

Originally posted by IURef
I have another balk question, yes i know everyone is probably tired of seeing all of these questions but i need help. This is 14-15 rec league playing under high school rules. While the pitcher is on the rubber he has his hans seperated he decides he needs to scratch his head so with his glove on his thigh he places the ball in the glove, removes his hat and scratches his head. he then reaches into his glove and grabbes the ball. seperates, and the comes set about letter high. is this a balk? I thought it was so i called it but later i was talkin to a fellow umpire and he thought it would not be.. thanks for the help

IURef

You could call it a balk by rule, but I wouldn't.

I would simply tell him that he needs to step off and scratch.

Even if a coach was watching, he's probably not going to say anything. If he does, then you can always call it the next time.

Makes it simple and then you're not OOO.

Thanks
David

LDUB Fri Jun 24, 2005 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by largeone59
In high school rules (NFHS), you betcha- balk.

Case Book:

6.1.2 D
6.1.3 D, E,

Now if it was an OBR game, i don't believe that he balked at all. Please correct me someone if he did.

[Edited by largeone59 on Jun 24th, 2005 at 03:08 PM]

Think about what the pitcher did. Even in an OBR game this is a balk.

F1 had his hands apart. He then brings his hands together. He then seperates his hands and does not pitch.

largeone59 Fri Jun 24, 2005 05:31pm

Ahhh yes yes. You're right.

jicecone Fri Jun 24, 2005 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IURef

IURef

14-15 yr old rec league?

I definitely would do 1 of 3 things.

Ignore it.

Call time.

Shoot myself, if I call a balk.

Come on guys , lets get serious here.

cowbyfan1 Sat Jun 25, 2005 01:57am

I think just telling the pitcher to make sure he steps off since it is just a rec league is the better direction. High School playoffs I would call the balk. Much more serious there.

I have called a balk in a playoff tourney on a pitcher for coming set amd then he moved that made it look, to me, like a start and stop, when in actuallity he leaned to spit.