The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Last night.
Bottom 7,home team down 3.
R1 on third, 3-2 count, 1 out.

Pitcher begins his wind up and all of a sudden i hear footsteps. Quick glance down the 3B line confirms it, here comes the runner and he isn't bluffing. Batter swings(as I cringe waiting for him to rip one right at the runner coming in or hit him with the bat) strike three. R1 slides, bang-bang play, safe.

I have never seen anyone even attempt a straight steal of home, let alone pull it off since i've been umpiring. Now maybe it was a blown run and hit, but why would you run and hit from 3rd base.

Anyway, I'm sure I got this play right, but it got me thinking. What's the best mechanic to use on a steal of home? The PU has to stay home to call the pitch, and by that time if it's done right, it's only a split second till the play happens, not enough time to get where I normally would on a play at the plate. Just curious.

-Josh
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
Last night.
Bottom 7,home team down 3.
R1 on third, 3-2 count, 1 out.

Anyway, I'm sure I got this play right, but it got me thinking. What's the best mechanic to use on a steal of home?
-Josh
The guess mechanic sometimes works real good. If you guess right.

If your working with a partner that is sharp, they can help out a lot. Otherwise, your left on your own to get the pitch first, and anything afterwards that you CAN see.

Good luck, especially when the catcher just reaches forward and totally blocks you out. !!!!!!!
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

And i'm sure in this case the old saying that goes "when in doubt, punch 'em out" will work since it's probably the hardest play in baseball to complete successfully.

-Josh
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drumbum565
If the Batter knows what he is doing he will move out of the way once the ball gets over the plate then you can sort of move were he was only back a little bit thatÂ’s what I always do but its only happened to me 3 times, and all three times the runner was safe because just as shocked as you are the catcher is to only he has to worry about getting hit with a bat to. In all three instances with me the runner went for the bottom left corner of the square part of home plate but the catcher is expecting the runner to go for the top of the plate further away from him. So the runner just slides under that catchers arm.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

No chance, drum. This is a pop-pop play. (If it's not pop-pop, and batter actually has time to move AFTER SWINGING, no less... then the catcher has PLENTY of time for an easy out). You are stationary in the slot. No way can you move, stop, and see the play in the quarter second you have. Make the call from where you are - already stationary to make as good a call as possible.

With a LHB - this is REALLY tough. It sounds easier on the surface because there's one less obstacle (no batter to look around). But it's not. Your slot is on the wrong side, and the catcher's body is between you and the tag.

With a RHB - you are already looking at the strike zone, and probably have an unobstructed view of the left side of the plate. Track the ball (for ball/strike call), and then look at the left edge of the plate. USUALLY, you can see the foot come in before the tag when safe, or see the tag before the foot comes in.

Sometimes, it's like they said above - guess.

PS - I used to steal home a couple of times a year when pitcher went into a windup. Caused some balks that way... but scored more often than out on non-balks. I was reckless and stupid when younger. Not so reckless anymore... possibly just a stupid though - I'll leave that to you.