Thread: Steal of Home
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

No chance, drum. This is a pop-pop play. (If it's not pop-pop, and batter actually has time to move AFTER SWINGING, no less... then the catcher has PLENTY of time for an easy out). You are stationary in the slot. No way can you move, stop, and see the play in the quarter second you have. Make the call from where you are - already stationary to make as good a call as possible.

With a LHB - this is REALLY tough. It sounds easier on the surface because there's one less obstacle (no batter to look around). But it's not. Your slot is on the wrong side, and the catcher's body is between you and the tag.

With a RHB - you are already looking at the strike zone, and probably have an unobstructed view of the left side of the plate. Track the ball (for ball/strike call), and then look at the left edge of the plate. USUALLY, you can see the foot come in before the tag when safe, or see the tag before the foot comes in.

Sometimes, it's like they said above - guess.

PS - I used to steal home a couple of times a year when pitcher went into a windup. Caused some balks that way... but scored more often than out on non-balks. I was reckless and stupid when younger. Not so reckless anymore... possibly just a stupid though - I'll leave that to you.