The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Does anybody have any clues as to who MLB is assigning to All Star game in Detroit next month?
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.worldumpires.com will most likely have it first.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Joe West's Website....

His website reports:

HP - Joe West
1B - Tim Welke
2B - Eric Cooper
3B - Mike DiMuro
LF - CB Bucknor
RF - Andy Fletcher

Alternate - Mark Wegner
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Is anyone else surprised that since he was rehired by MLB, Joe West has been given so many high profile assignments - crew chief during the regular season, two LCS in a row, and now home plate for the all star game. When MLB accepted his resignation in 1999 he was not exactly in the good graces of MLB and he was never exactly beloved by the players.

Although I have always liked Joe West as an umpire (I have always considered him one of the most consistant ball/strike umpires), I am a bit surprised that he has been given the high profile assignments in recent years. Make no mistake, I do believe the assignments are deserved, I am just surprised that MLB has recognized this.

Now, another question - what does Joe Brinkman have to do to get back into the LCS or World Series. I think Brinkman has greatly improved the last two years since he changed from the knee position. Anyone else notice that he has also showed more enthusiasm when on the bases as well? I guess I am a bleeding heart and think he has earned a shot at redemption as well.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

If this is true, then these 6 men will not be able to work the World Series as I believe that you can not work 2 "major events" in one year
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Not true

In fact, Montague was the CC for the All Star Game and CC for the World Series. The year before, McClelland was CC for the AS game and CC for the Red Sox-Yankees ALCS.

Umpires cannot work consecutive World Series. Many have worked consecutive Division Series assignments.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

I believe now you cannot work two consecutive post-season events. In the last 3 or 4 years it has become thr rule that all World Series umpires work the Division Series first. The All-Star game almost seems to be a precursor to who will work some of the bigger games in October.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

An alternate umpire on a six man crew? Is this something new for MLB? I remember several playoff series where an umpire had to leave the field due to sickness and they continued with five umpires.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FredFan7
An alternate umpire on a six man crew? Is this something new for MLB? I remember several playoff series where an umpire had to leave the field due to sickness and they continued with five umpires.
I know where the umps go in a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 6 umpire crew, but where would you position them if you only have 5 umpires?
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Usually they leave RF empty, I believe.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SoCalUmp Send a message via Yahoo to SoCalUmp
Quote:
Originally posted by brian1974
Is anyone else surprised that since he was rehired by MLB, Joe West has been given so many high profile assignments - crew chief during the regular season, two LCS in a row, and now home plate for the all star game. When MLB accepted his resignation in 1999 he was not exactly in the good graces of MLB and he was never exactly beloved by the players.

Although I have always liked Joe West as an umpire (I have always considered him one of the most consistant ball/strike umpires), I am a bit surprised that he has been given the high profile assignments in recent years. Make no mistake, I do believe the assignments are deserved, I am just surprised that MLB has recognized this.

Now, another question - what does Joe Brinkman have to do to get back into the LCS or World Series. I think Brinkman has greatly improved the last two years since he changed from the knee position. Anyone else notice that he has also showed more enthusiasm when on the bases as well? I guess I am a bleeding heart and think he has earned a shot at redemption as well.
Not at all, he is one of the best B/S umpires around (IMO) and gets more sh*t then he deserves. ANd not to mention....he is "The Cowboy!"

[Edited by SoCalUmp on Jul 1st, 2005 at 12:10 AM]
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Joe West's Website....

Quote:
Originally posted by goyanksgonj
Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
His website reports:

HP - Joe West
1B - Tim Welke
2B - Eric Cooper
3B - Mike DiMuro
LF - CB Bucknor
RF - Andy Fletcher

Alternate - Mark Wegner
Is it pure coincidence, or did Tim Welke and Andy Fletcher ask for vacation time from their crews centered around their appearances in Detroit? What about C.B. Bucknor's crew being on vacation, again centered around his appearance in Detroit?
Aren't you the jocksniffer who constantly asked and pleaded for any info on the MLB Umpire schedule so you could try to get free tix? ANy luck??

Rob
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

And what about the coincidence of Joe West and Mike DiMuro being on the same crew? Or the fact that at least 4 of these 6 umpires in many of our opinions aren't that great considering they are "all-star" umpires? Or the fact that no one cares??
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattmets
And what about the coincidence of Joe West and Mike DiMuro being on the same crew? Or the fact that at least 4 of these 6 umpires in many of our opinions aren't that great considering they are "all-star" umpires? Or the fact that no one cares??
Who in the hell are you to say a MLB umpire isnt "that great??" WHo gives a rats @ss if Cowboy and Mike are on the same crew. They are both great umpires. Do you even know how the all-star crew is selected. They choose the guys who work the hardest, give their all, and perform the best. You are saying you have watched each and every single one of these guys and determined they are not good enough to be on the all-star game?? Man, MLB sure fuc*ed up .......I guess you should be out there.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Hey uh screw you would you realize sarcasm if it came up and smacked you in the face? I bet you don't take well to criticism when you're working do you......