The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drumbum565
K in the federation rulebook rule 10,section 1, article 2

"Umpire jurisdiction begins upon the umpires arriving at the felid (with in the confines of the field) and ends when the umpires leave the playing field at the CONCLUSION of the game"

I am currently umpiring for a high school age league and I am umpiring for a team this Thursday that I have had a history with. Most of the people on the team didn’t like me before i ejected their pitcher. Anyways all of the umpires for the 7+ fields in this park meet at a shed behind the field I am umpiring and I on a different day when this team wasn’t playing several members cussed at me and threatened me (they really hate me). The thing is we meet at the shed about 45 minutes before game time when most of the teams aren’t there yet. My question is what if when I arrive I go on to that field (on the actual field) and tell the coaches (both coaches not just the one I expect trouble from) that my jurisdiction has begun anything your players say to me out there will be the same as if they say it during a game. I’ve read that rule about 50 times and i can't see anything stopping that loophole. What do you guys think?

Bare in mind that as soon as i step on the field I am an objective umpire so i know neither team I have just meet them that moment so I would not be looking for trouble just have my good old ejection finger incase someone brings trouble to me.

[Edited by drumbum565 on Jun 20th, 2005 at 01:03 AM]
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I think you are absolutely correct. When you walk onto the field, you are an "objectionable" umpire. You need to act accordingly.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

so you think if i get off the feild to join my fellow umpires and a kid comes up to me and starts cussing at me so long as i have walked onto the feild my jurisdiction stands and i can eject them??
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Step 1--Look up "objectionable."

Step 2--Reflect on how step one MAY apply to you.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Crap i feel stupid i meant "objective" i am realy tired i will change it in the other post.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

A few thoughts:

If you meet with potentially 13 fellow umpires behind the shed, why not avoid a potential volatile situation by trading games with one of the other umps? In general, I don't believe in avoiding teams/coaches based on past games, but this sounds particularly hateful, so why would the assignor subject you and everyone unnecessarily?

Although you see yourself as "objective." I beg to differ. You are already expecting/predicting trouble three days before the scheduled game. If you cannot get out of this game. or choose not to, clear your head and focus. Ignore any comments before entering the field. Arrive at the field close to game time, have a polite and professional plate meeting (if you are BU keep your mouth shut). If you are PU and coach starts in about the last horrible game, say we are starting fresh today and setting a good example for the players. Ignore all fans, period. Don't bring up the old history or issue ultimatums, warnings. Focus, work hard, don't allow yourself to be baited, but take care of business if necessary.

Save the rule book for umpiring games, not as a crutch to throw weight around and justify looking for trouble. IMO
And of course, have fun.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
i'll try...

drumbumm, let me encourage you to invest in a grammar handbook and a dictionary. your posts are hurting my head.

That aside, you ask a good question.

First, follow macaroo's suggestions. You will appear professional, competent and objective, despite the feeling that you are "objectionable."

Don't bring up past games. Think of it like this: coach comes out to argue a whacker in the 5th inning. Then he starts talking about a call you made in 2nd inning. He has crossed the line.

If you state "I now have jurisdiction of this game" you look like a pompous fool and are setting the conditions for a confrontation.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Drumbumm,

Go to the field often and throw them out. Even if you don't have a game that day.

Im sure by their next game that you umpire for them, you will have them so scared they won't say Boo to you.

Eject often and many. That will fix dem smartie kids.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Question Is The "Bummer" For Real ?

Is dumbbum putting us on ?

Has to be !!! (I hope).

Doug
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by drumbum565

I am umpiring and I on a different day when this team wasn’t playing several members cussed at me and threatened me (they really hate me).

This is how it works in my association.

During Summer ball, we had 2 players from one team taunt and threaten an umpire. The umpires on the field stopped the game immediately and went home. No getting changed etc. Get in your car and go.

My assignot was called and told the President of this particular league we service Under No uncertain Terms"

Either these 2 Players be released IMMEDIATELY and barred for the remainder of the season or we will not service your league anymore.

I do not know about your area, but the aforementioned is one MAIN reason to belong to an association.

Summary: Contact your UIC on the asscoaition you belong to and get their input.

Pete Booth

Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drumbum565
K in the federation rulebook rule 10,section 1, article 2

"Umpire jurisdiction begins upon the umpires arriving at the felid (with in the confines of the field) and ends when the umpires leave the playing field at the CONCLUSION of the game"

I am currently umpiring for a high school age league and I am umpiring for a team this Thursday that I have had a history with. Most of the people on the team didn’t like me before i ejected their pitcher. Anyways all of the umpires for the 7+ fields in this park meet at a shed behind the field I am umpiring and I on a different day when this team wasn’t playing several members cussed at me and threatened me (they really hate me). The thing is we meet at the shed about 45 minutes before game time when most of the teams aren’t there yet. My question is what if when I arrive I go on to that field (on the actual field) and tell the coaches (both coaches not just the one I expect trouble from) that my jurisdiction has begun anything your players say to me out there will be the same as if they say it during a game. I’ve read that rule about 50 times and i can't see anything stopping that loophole. What do you guys think?

Bare in mind that as soon as i step on the field I am an objective umpire so i know neither team I have just meet them that moment so I would not be looking for trouble just have my good old ejection finger incase someone brings trouble to me.

[Edited by drumbum565 on Jun 20th, 2005 at 01:03 AM]
Well, I don't show up 45 minutes before anything but a playoff game, and I'm sure not going to sit around and swap stories with my umpire buddies for very long before the game.

I show up to do a job, umpire.

That's what I'm there for and what I'll do.

If you do it well, you won't have any problems you can't handle.

I don't worry about players or coaches until I step on the field.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, for the advice. I will defenitl try to switch games however at this point it might be preaty difficult. I will just hope that since im sorrounded by my boss and about 13 other umpires that they wont give me any trouble. Thanks for all your advice and if you think you got anything more that can help me please post it.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
David B Wrote:

I show up to do a job, umpire.

That's what I'm there for and what I'll do.

If you do it well, you won't have any problems you can't handle.

----------------------------------------------------

That is the solution to most, if not all of your problems with game management.

Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

I’m sorry to just out right disagree, however there are many situations in which no matter what the call is you got someone on your back. For instance today last inning (I'm BU) the away team ties it in the top of the inning. In the bottom of the inning with 2 outs a runner goes home on an over throw there is a close play but the runner was safe and the PU called him safe. The away team's bench cleared and the whole team charged the PU. I ran up and ejected about 4 or 5 people for cussing and other stuff, except no one heard me (they found out a few minutes latter they didn’t have enough people to play the next game now a couple of minutes later). My point is no matter how well of a job you do you are always going to have one coach that doesn’t know the rules, one coach that "is always right", one coach that just goes crazy.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Confrontation is part of the game. You can't avoid it. Learn to deal with it.