The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Runner on first. Left handed first baseman holding the runner. F3 has one foot in foul territory. Umpire calls 'illegal pitch' as the pitcher throws and awards 2nd base to R1 for a 'fielder's balk'.

Where is that in the rulebook?

Thanks
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Fielder Balk

Almost all codes have a statement similar to the NCAA code I copied here

At the start of or during a game, all players of the defensive
team except the catcher must be in fair territory when the ball is put in play.
Being in fair territory means that a defensive player must have at least one
foot placed in fair territory.
a. The catcher must stand with both feet within the limits of the catcher’s
box until the pitcher releases the ball.
PENALTY—It is an illegal pitch if no one is on base and a balk with a
runner(s) on base.

Now you said he only had one foot in foul territory if the other is in fair ............
could be OOO you can also use the catcher to reel the first baseman in before balking the player in foul territory
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

By the way, the above tourney uses OBR.

Am I correct that in FED, a player is considered in fair grounds if he has at LEAST one foot in fair territory?

Does OBR define it the same way?

Old Sat May 28, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

In the NCAA rule quoted above, the penalty applies only to section (a) of the rule, which deals with a catcher leaving the catcher's box during an intentional walk. The person who cited the NCAA rule in support of the mythical "fielder's balk" is not correctly parsing the paragraph breaks in the rule, just like everyone else who gets this rule wrong.

The OBR version of the rule, 4.03, is similarly misunderstood by many, but the balk penalty only applies to the catcher leaving the box before the pitcher pitches when giving an intentional walk.

As you noted, in FED, one foot in and one foot out is considered "in" fair territory. In OBR, one foot out is "out" of fair territory; however, professional instruction is that this infraction should be ignored unless and until the opposing team complains, and then it should be enforced strictly for both teams.
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
In the NCAA rule quoted above, the penalty applies only to section (a) of the rule, which deals with a catcher leaving the catcher's box during an intentional walk. The person who cited the NCAA rule in support of the mythical "fielder's balk" is not correctly parsing the paragraph breaks in the rule, just like everyone else who gets this rule wrong.

The OBR version of the rule, 4.03, is similarly misunderstood by many, but the balk penalty only applies to the catcher leaving the box before the pitcher pitches when giving an intentional walk.

As you noted, in FED, one foot in and one foot out is considered "in" fair territory. In OBR, one foot out is "out" of fair territory; however, professional instruction is that this infraction should be ignored unless and until the opposing team complains, and then it should be enforced strictly for both teams.
Amen Dave. An official just calling that to call it is "picking for boogers". Tell F3 to make sure he stands with both feet in fair territory as a preventive before the other team complains. If they already have then worry about calling it. I have called hundreds of games tho and have heard 1 person complain/comment about it. I'm sure there are other that have called even more and can probably count on 1 hand how many times it is complained about.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly there is too much else to worry about unless I get a complaint
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

in foul /out fair

question then, do we treat the foot out/in like with the batter in the batters box I.E. the entire foot has to be out of the line to be considered out. so if a f3 is straddling the bag he is fine,but if he is straddling the line hes wrong? thanks
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

The PBUC "Blue" Manual, as correctly stated, says not to enforce a first baseman playing with both feet in fair territory unless the offensive coach complains. However, I do not understand why neither the rule book or the manual specifically states both feet must be in fair territory, like the NFHS rule & case books do. Or did NFHS deviate from the norm by allowing one foot in four territory????
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Spence

Runner on first. Left handed first baseman holding the runner. F3 has one foot in foul territory. Umpire calls 'illegal pitch' as the pitcher throws and awards 2nd base to R1 for a 'fielder's balk'.

Where is that in the rulebook?

If memory serves, (perhaps Papa C can fill in the details), the last time a Fielder's balk was called was on Jerry Remey of the BOSOX. He positioned himself behind F1 completely in Foul Territory.

The rule was later changed.

As far as the Catcher's balk is concerned, again it is common practice not to call unless you are Bobby Cox.

Bottom Line: These are nit-pick'n rules and unless one of the coaches complains ie; Bobby "V" of the Mets, leave it alone.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

If a first baseman's foot being in foul territory is illegal (as under OBR) ... how does this differ from a right fielder being in the bullpen, unaware that the game had commenced?

Would/should they be handled differently?

What if the right-fielder was still in the dugout - forgetting to take his position and the game commences with only 8 fielders?

Isn't this really the same thing?

I'm just asking ...

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Technically, your right-fielder has to be in fair terrority to make the ball live.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F
Technically, your right-fielder has to be in fair terrority to make the ball live.
I agree.

So, if the umpire is going to enforce the rule that states that all players must be in fair territory - he should enforce it before the pitcher pitches ... not call a "Fielder's Balk" once he has pitched it.

That's what I'd do.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Just where the heck did this term "Fielder's Balk" ever come from? Only the pitcher can balk. Period. Perhaps if some folks understood this they'd better understand this myth of a "fielder's balk."

Wishful thinking, perhaps.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I was working solo in a Babe Ruth game when a coach, very politely, pointed out that the first baseman was in foul territory and that this should be a balk. He claims he saw it called in the college world series last year. Did anyone see this called in the CWS?
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
I was working solo in a Babe Ruth game when a coach, very politely, pointed out that the first baseman was in foul territory and that this should be a balk. He claims he saw it called in the college world series last year. Did anyone see this called in the CWS?
I don't know whether the coach saw it or not, but it's not correct.

See NCAA 5-4, especially 5-4-c