The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 07:56pm
In Memoriam

Question

Please.

What is the best place, or most taught postion, for the plate Umpire with a fly ball to left field and a tagging runner going home ?

Is it 3B line extended, or is it working inside out in front of home plate, or is it somewhere else ?

Thanks.
mick
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
please clarify...

Which direction is F7 moving to field the ball?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Please.

What is the best place, or most taught postion, for the plate Umpire with a fly ball to left field and a tagging runner going home ?

Is it 3B line extended, or is it working inside out in front of home plate, or is it somewhere else ?

Thanks.
mick
Fair/foul is first call so if the catch will be near the line be up the line some towards 3b. If not, swing out toward 3b dugout to line up the catch and the tag. You either have the catch and tag, or just the tag, depending on where the catch is made. Then hustle back to a position well back of the point of the plate and adjust as the throw comes in, maybe a step or two towards 3b line extended. If the throw comes from near the line and the runner tries to slide wide right of the plate you will have a good look if you are step towards 3b line extended.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Please.

Thanks.
mick
I would never recommend moving inside the diamond on a throw from F7 (actually on any other play also)

I see guys in MLB move there sometimes but I've never understood why since they have a four man crew.

Line up the catch and runner, and then move toward the plate letting the throw move you into position.

I personally prefer using 1B extended especially on a throw from F7. Some other plays a throw might take me to 3B extended but its very rare.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

David B
I am surprised you rarely use 3rd base line extended. I find it difficult to see the swipe tag on a runner hook sliding inside when I am 1st base line extended. I get a real good look at the tag when I am 3rd base line extended. I find that the key is to be positioned at the point of the plate and then adjust according to the throw. When I first started umpiring, I never used 3rd base line extended. I almost always positioned between the catcher and the runner on the 3rd base side.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bellsjc
David B
I am surprised you rarely use 3rd base line extended. I find it difficult to see the swipe tag on a runner hook sliding inside when I am 1st base line extended. I get a real good look at the tag when I am 3rd base line extended. I find that the key is to be positioned at the point of the plate and then adjust according to the throw. When I first started umpiring, I never used 3rd base line extended. I almost always positioned between the catcher and the runner on the 3rd base side.
Exactly. I didn't say I didn't use it, just rarely.

IMO the best position to see everything is 1B extended. But as you stated, when there is a rare play it takes you toward 3B extended.

But, how many hook slides do you see at the plate?

Usually the one that takes you to 3B extended is the throw up the line where F2 is moving and then has to reach back for the tag, but I've found you can see that just as well at 1B extended.

Bottom line personal preference, but I've seen more missed calls with umpires in 3B extended especially with young umpires so that's why I don't recommend it.

As you gain more experience, you do what works.

Good point though

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Hey, maybe thats why when I first started I almost never used 3rd base line extended. Just as you said, as I gained experience I found myself using it more. Ditto on the good point.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Even worse, what if it's F9...specifically a bleeder the 2nd baseman has to turn-and-run to make the catch? BU has to watch for the catch, PU has to somehow get in position to see if the runner left early AND still be able to make the call at home!