The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Tim,
Good suggestion on the pointing method after the batter or catcher call time. I started doing that last night. Pitcher was holding the set too long, so batter requested time. Of course the pitcher finally decided to pitch as I am calling time. He has that irked look on his face as he has to hold on to the ball. But as you mentioned, I then pointed to the batter and the look disappeared, like he understood that what had happened and now it was okay.

Thanks for the tip,
Jason
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Tim, need to ask another 2 question. I usually work the heal/toe in the slot of course. I did a high quality varsity game a few weeks ago and decided to put a bit more distance between me and the catcher. For some reason it seemed like I had a much better view of the pitches that game. I assumed it was because of the modified GD approach. Last night, I had a low quality Babe Ruth game so I decided to give the GD stance a try. First, where in heavens name do you put your hands? I felt weary of placing them on my knees for fear of getting them smashed by an arrent pitch or foul. I know sandwiching my fingers between the ball and my shin gaurds would hurt far more than just getting hit by the ball. Secondly, I am only 5'5" tall or should I say 5'5" short. I couldn't get completely comfortable because I felt that I was standing to upright. I noticed also that I had a bit more difficulty with the pitches high in the strike zone. Using the heal/toe, my eyes were at the top of the strike zone. Using the GD my eyes were way up high. How do you adjust? Any suggestions?
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 04:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bellsjc
Tim, need to ask another 2 question. I usually work the heal/toe in the slot of course. I did a high quality varsity game a few weeks ago and decided to put a bit more distance between me and the catcher. For some reason it seemed like I had a much better view of the pitches that game. I assumed it was because of the modified GD approach. Last night, I had a low quality Babe Ruth game so I decided to give the GD stance a try. First, where in heavens name do you put your hands? I felt weary of placing them on my knees for fear of getting them smashed by an arrent pitch or foul. I know sandwiching my fingers between the ball and my shin gaurds would hurt far more than just getting hit by the ball. Secondly, I am only 5'5" tall or should I say 5'5" short. I couldn't get completely comfortable because I felt that I was standing to upright. I noticed also that I had a bit more difficulty with the pitches high in the strike zone. Using the heal/toe, my eyes were at the top of the strike zone. Using the GD my eyes were way up high. How do you adjust? Any suggestions?
Not TEE, but only me.

Hands : Indicator is held loosely beside my knee with thumbs behind top of knee guards

Top of Zone : As with the low pitch moving up because you are working higher, the top of the zone will also go up. If you don't like where it moved, lower it. If you are an umpire that uses the bar to control upper strikes, tilt your head down. By widening your stance, your head will also go down. If you drop too far, you may lose the great view.

Trust your equipment.
mick

Awkward batters swinging at terrible pitches ... hurt!
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

That's it, I gotta try this...
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Practice practice practice

Quote:
Originally posted by bellsjc
You can't expect to perfect a new stance in a few games. I used the entire summer to work on the new stance and like you described above the hardest part to me was the high zone.

But with some work, you start learning the zone again and then it almost becomes automatic again.

Concentrate on the high pitches, see where F2 is catching the ball, look at where its crossing the plate according to the batter (since this will change from batter to batter)

With some practice it will work.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

DAMN! I was doing great with the GD stance but all of a sudden, I lost the outside corner! I can see the outside corner, but all of a sudden, the pitches don't look right! The other night, I couldn't call an outside pitch to save my life. Should I try moving toward the center of the plate temporarily?
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 05:39am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
DAMN! I was doing great with the GD stance but all of a sudden, I lost the outside corner! I can see the outside corner, but all of a sudden, the pitches don't look right! The other night, I couldn't call an outside pitch to save my life. Should I try moving toward the center of the plate temporarily?
ozzy6900,
Spend a little windshield time [on the way to the game] visualizing that outside zone before you get to the field.
When you see that first pitch on/off the outside corner, you already have it clearly defined.
mick
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
ozzy6900,
Spend a little windshield time [on the way to the game] visualizing that outside zone before you get to the field.
When you see that first pitch on/off the outside corner, you already have it clearly defined.
mick
I'll give it a shot, Mick.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Re: GD Part Deux

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

3) I canot make the point strong enough. Make sure your stance is really wide . . . double wide.
Tee --

You don't say why this is important. I know this is part of the stance but don't see why it is critical, especially since standing high is supposed to make up for being back from the catcher. Some of us "altitude challenged" folks can't afford to lose any more by going to an extra-wide stance.

When I started using GD last summer, the extra-wide stance tore up adductors and hip flexors. I should have done more stretching before I started using GD. Should have but didn't. I narrowed my stance, which kept things from getting worse, but the pain didn't go away until after fall ball.

Wider is more stable but it doesn't seem that the increase in stability outweigh the loss of height.

Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Re: GD Part Deux

Quote:
Originally posted by ChapJim
When I started using GD last summer, the extra-wide stance tore up adductors and hip flexors. I should have done more stretching before I started using GD. Should have but didn't. I narrowed my stance, which kept things from getting worse, but the pain didn't go away until after fall ball.

Wider is more stable but it doesn't seem that the increase in stability outweigh the loss of height.

ChapJim,
Sounds like you were using the "too wide" stance.
The Gerry Davis system is about comfort and stability.

For what it's worth, I just measured my stance.
5'10"; 185#; Shoulder width: 18"
Stance width: 36" [outside of foot to outside of foot]
(Wow!!! That's double-wide eh? Cool!)

Eye height standing: 66-1/2"
Eye height at rest before pitch: 54"
Eye height at delivery: 50"

It is what it is. [shrug]
mick

Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yep,

Chappy:

Again I am 6' tall. I am 40" width.

Comfort is one part of the equation.

Also consider that with your stance wider your more soild when you rest hands on knees.

The stance is about being solid and being comfortable.

For the vertically challenged I would think that the stretch stance can still be used just keep it in proportion to your height.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I know that many of you have and want nothing to do with LL or other 60' diamond ball, but has anyone tried the GD stance with a 46' or 50' mound? If so, I would be interested in hearing your observations and critique, and modifications (if any) that you have found useful.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gotblue?
I know that many of you have and want nothing to do with LL or other 60' diamond ball, but has anyone tried the GD stance with a 46' or 50' mound? If so, I would be interested in hearing your observations and critique, and modifications (if any) that you have found useful.
Yes, I have done 6 games on small diamond this year, 3 of them on the plate. The GD is still good, because it eases the stress in my back and knees from trying to get as low as the players are. I used to work the knee for these games, but GD is better.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: GD Part Deux

Quote:
Quote:

ChapJim,

mick

5' 10"

Toe-to-toe: 40"
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:59am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: GD Part Deux

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:

ChapJim,

mick

5' 10"

Toe-to-toe: 40"
Bob,
What are you hiding from?
(I'll get that wide with short batters.)
mick