The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I was channel surfing last night and came across a local high school baseball game. (It was a replay of a game played last week.)

Every time a batter struck out swinging, the announcer said, "Strike three! Caught him looking." This happened ten or twelve times throughout the game.

Runner on 3B, one out. Batter grounds to F3, who throws home to get the runner from 3B trying to score. Announcer explains that because the batter made it safely to 1B, he is "credited with a ground rule single."

And according to the announcer, you are also credited with a "ground rule single" when you hit a fly ball that drops behind the infield but in front of the outfield (i.e., what is usually called a "Texas-leaguer").

I was hoping this announcer would get around to explaining some rules. Alas, no such luck.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Wow, my IQ dropped 10 points just reading that post, your's probably dropped 20 because you actually had to listen to that crap.

Kind of makes me wish I was there calling the game with this guy.

"Strike 3, caught him looking"
me -"Looking at what? That woman behind the 3rd base dugout with the tight jeans and big hooters? Maybe thats why he missed the ball!"

"The batter is credited with a ground rule single"

me - "Exactly what ground rule was in place to credit that batter with a single on that fielder's choice?"

Its a good thing a hitter didn't get hit on the hands, this announcer would have been going ballistic because the BR got first. Hands are part of the bat ya know.

God forbid the BR doesn't turn out into foul territory after overrunning 1st base.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Talking New network star !!!

We'll probably be seeing announcing network baseball shortly, as he seems to be as informed as most other announcers.

Doug

[Edited by Carbide Keyman on Jun 8th, 2005 at 11:41 AM]
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Since it was a local high school game I would guess that the announcers were probably either high school students or college students enrolled in a communications/broadcasting program at a near by college.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bellsjc
Since it was a local high school game I would guess that the announcers were probably either high school students or college students enrolled in a communications/broadcasting program at a near by college.
Then they need to get someone who's passing the class.