The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

What is the official ruling for a running bunt? In my area the running bunt has become a must do by every team and is becoming a little annoying in the respect that it seems cheap and last week I called 3 kids out for hitting the ball with the foot outside the batterÂ’s box. Each time I see a batter tries the"Running Bunt" and does not make contact I call it a strike, do you?

Coaches are always perplexed that I can interrupt the batter step/ running into the ball while lunging at the ball an attempt and/or an illegally batted ball when the batter steps completely outside the box (foot on ground) then call him out! It is almost as if a softball batting instructor is teaching these kids the run & bunt? Am I missing something or is my frustration well founded?

Auhgg, it looks like cheap baseball, what the heck ever happened to playing baseball like God intended it to be! Damn little league crap needs to be stopped at lower levels, and while I venting, does any know if MLB publishes an alternate rule book for coaches & players? If they do I think they left some information out or the print is too small from them to read.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

There's no rule that the batter must be still while hitting / bunting the ball.

All the other batting rules apply -- if you see the foot on the ground outside the box when contact is made, call the out. If you think the batter attempted to hit the ball (and that involves more than just "running"), indicate the strike. Don't, however, call the plays any differently than you'd call any other bunt / hit just because you think it's "cheap."

Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

EMD, please feel free to buy some grammar lessons - I can't understand most of your post, including the entire 2nd paragraph.

What is the official ruling on WHAT?

Sounds to me, from the little bit I can decipher, that you want to outlaw the dragbunt. Not sure why. Pretty sure Otis Nixon (sniff), Rickey Henderson, Tim Raines, et al might not agree with you that a drag-bunt is cheap baseball.

As to the one question I COULD get out of your post: "Each time I see a batter tries the"Running Bunt" and does not make contact I call it a strike, do you?"

If the batter tries to hit the ball and misses, it's a strike, right? Pretty basic.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

EMD,

I have read your post 3 times now with every intent on respectfully replying however, all I can say is:

YOU BE NEEDING SOME HELP SIR

??????????????
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Fair enough. I was just venting.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:53pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by EMD
Auhgg, it looks like cheap baseball, what the heck ever happened to playing baseball like God intended it to be!
Please don't take offense, but GOD couldn't give two sh*ts how baseball is played.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

And

Lest we forgot Vic Davillio that made his entire MLB career (mostly with Cleveland) in the perfection of the "running bunt".

Not to be confused with the stupid "Running Swing" used by NCAA Women's Softball batters.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I see why the coaches are perplexed