Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Re: A little different...

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

If the pitcher encroaches on the batter's area... that's a poor pitch and the batter gets first if he is hit.

This is for High School and and up. At lesser levels, there is no telling where the pitch will go so now the pitcher's responsibility goes up - I'm more likely to award 1st.
This concept is the NCAA rule and one of the proposed FED rules changes for last year
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: A little different...

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

If the pitcher encroaches on the batter's area... that's a poor pitch and the batter gets first if he is hit.

This is for High School and and up. At lesser levels, there is no telling where the pitch will go so now the pitcher's responsibility goes up - I'm more likely to award 1st.
This concept is the NCAA rule and one of the proposed FED rules changes for last year
Bob, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe NCAA once took that position within written rule, but soon after changed back to requiring attempt to avoid. They found too many batters were all too willing to take the pitch to the body without any avoidance attempt in order to receive the award. The latest copy of NCAA that I have (2003) states:
    If the batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball and the pitch is out of the strike zone, the pitch shall be called a ball. The ball is dead, no runners may advance and the batter is not awarded first base.

Have they once again changed their rule????
I'll agree that collegiate umpires will typically provide any benefit of doubt to the batter, thus providing awards to most batters. Still, NCAA rule (as OBR) provides the official the backing to keep the batter in the box if he judges no attempt to avoid the pitch was made.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 09:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: Re: A little different...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Quote:
Quote:

Bob, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe NCAA once took that position within written rule, but soon after changed back to requiring attempt to avoid. They found too many batters were all too willing to take the pitch to the body without any avoidance attempt in order to receive the award. The latest copy of NCAA that I have (2003) states:
    If the batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball and the pitch is out of the strike zone, the pitch shall be called a ball. The ball is dead, no runners may advance and the batter is not awarded first base.

I'll agree that collegiate umpires will typically provide any benefit of doubt to the batter, thus providing awards to most batters. Still, NCAA rule (as OBR) provides the official the backing to keep the batter in the box if he judges no attempt to avoid the pitch was made.

Just my opinion,

Freix

They changed it again. No requirement to mov if the pitch is inside the line of the batter's box. Without a doubt the best rule there is of this nature. Why require the batter to move or attempt to move on such a poor pitch.

I use this interpretation in all games I work. And I will tell any coach that argues, "I didn't tell your pitcher to throw it there."

--Rich
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

If a pitcher is going to throw a pitch that is intended to CURVE ... then, in my opinion, the batter can stand still and WAIT for it to curve. If it doesn't curve enough to avoid him and he ends up getting hit with the pitch ... too bad for the pitcher. Reward the batter 1st.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

my ignorance .....

What does HTBT stand for ?

Doug
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
If a pitcher is going to throw a pitch that is intended to CURVE ... then, in my opinion, the batter can stand still and WAIT for it to curve. If it doesn't curve enough to avoid him and he ends up getting hit with the pitch ... too bad for the pitcher. Reward the batter 1st.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
The sky is falling, or should be. I agree with Emerling.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Rich . . .

I feel so "dirty" . . .

I agree with Memphis also.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have been pondering on this for a couple days now. From the original post, "Curveball comes in, does not break". How do we know it's a curveball if it don't break? Is this an assumption because the pitch was slower? How do we know it wasn't a change that slipped out of the pitcher's grip?

If a batter stands in the box, doesn't move a muscle, and gets hit, he stays in the box (unless it is college game). I don't buy that deer in the headlights argument. If he makes any effort, even a feeble one, he goes to 1B. I have had some lean a thigh into an inside curveball, and they stay too. It was early last year since I have kept a batter in the box and it was twice in the same game by the same batter, and both times he leaned a thigh into the ball. The second time I told him "I don't believe you did that again".
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I have been pondering on this for a couple days now. From the original post, "Curveball comes in, does not break". How do we know it's a curveball if it don't break? Is this an assumption because the pitch was slower? How do we know it wasn't a change that slipped out of the pitcher's grip?
You know it's a curveball because of the spin ... because of the release ... and because you've seen thousands of them.

There's no mistaking a breaking pitch for a fastball.

There's no mistaking a breaking pitch for a straight change.

Curveball ... slider ... slurve ... they are all breaking pitches and there is no mistaking them.

It is important that an umpire be able to identify pitches because when a bean ball war begins, you can safely assume that the pitcher was not attempting to hit a batter with a breaking pitch. But you have to KNOW that it was a breaking pitch.

I think the NCAA got it right as they do not require a batter to move whenever a pitch is thrown within the confines of the batter's box. If a pitcher is going to throw a pitch within the batter's box, he shouldn't be surprised if it ends up hitting the batter.

To my way of thinking, I don't think I've ever seen a batter not "flinch", however slight, prior to being hit. At least I'm consistent in this regard.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
You know it's a curveball because of the spin ... because of the release ... and because you've seen thousands of them.

There's no mistaking a breaking pitch for a fastball.

There's no mistaking a breaking pitch for a straight change.

Curveball ... slider ... slurve ... they are all breaking pitches and there is no mistaking them.

It is important that an umpire be able to identify pitches because when a bean ball war begins, you can safely assume that the pitcher was not attempting to hit a batter with a breaking pitch. But you have to KNOW that it was a breaking pitch.

I think the NCAA got it right as they do not require a batter to move whenever a pitch is thrown within the confines of the batter's box. If a pitcher is going to throw a pitch within the batter's box, he shouldn't be surprised if it ends up hitting the batter.

To my way of thinking, I don't think I've ever seen a batter not "flinch", however slight, prior to being hit. At least I'm consistent in this regard.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
I am familiar with spin and release, but it ain't a curve ball if it don't curve. It's just a weird looking ball. I have seen thousands of curve balls that looked like fastballs until they got to the plate. That's what makes a good curveball.

I have never seen a bean ball. I have seen some high and insides with purpose, but no bean balls. But all the high and insides were fastballs. What's the point of throwing on off spead with purpose?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: A little different...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Quote:
Quote:

Just my opinion,

Freix
I don't know - you may be right.

I don't have a copy of the latest NCAA rulebook. Perhaps they have changed it - I don't know. I *do* know that at one time they did NOT require a batter to avoid a pitch thrown through the batter's box. It thought that was a good rule. It certainly simplified things and it seems fair.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules give the batter the batter the box. If hit while in it he goes to 1B.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: my ignorance .....

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbide Keyman
What does HTBT stand for ?

Doug

Had To Be There (in other words, a sitch that you had to have seen yourself to help you decide the ruling)