The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Someone told me recently, "If you have to tell everyone your resume, you really have not accomplished much of anything."

Peace [/B]
I do here by declare that the statement above is the smartest...correction, only smart thing, that Rut has posted over the years of his long, wind bagged, "I don't care" mumbo jumbo.

Congrats. Is this nirvana?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I admit, I only opened this thread to see what in the He11 Tee was doing posting on a thread about LL Tourney Rules. Decoy'd here by Rut, he was.

Yes, I know: you [Rut] don't care, your BB season is over, you have nothing to prove, it doesn't mean anything, you post only so people can contact the many organizations you are affiliated with ................. WAYYY too much time on your hands.

Hey, Dave: thanks for the crib sheet.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 03:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cbfoulds
Yes, I know: you [Rut] don't care, your BB season is over, you have nothing to prove, it doesn't mean anything, you post only so people can contact the many organizations you are affiliated with ................. WAYYY too much time on your hands.

I guarantee you know a lot more about me than I will ever want to know about you. And it proves it by this attempt to try to quote me. Before your little rant on the NF Board, I did not even know you existed. Then again I guess we all need a hobby.

Peace

Old Mon May 30, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Dave Hensley

In what has become something of an annual tradition, I present the latest update of a tournament rules cheat sheet I've been maintaining, updated for 2005 Little League tournament play. The chart is in Acrobat PDF format; to download it, rightclick on the link below and choose "Save Target As..."

2005 Little League Tournament Rules Chart

Please feel free to distribute the file to anyone who may have a use for it.
Dave Hensley

Dave as usual Thanks.

My Commentary:

The aforementioned is a very good tool for those of us who are just finishing up the HS or Collegaite season and worked mostly FED / NCAA ball during the months of March thru the end of May.

I do not umpire the regular season LL games as I once did, but one of my mentors is still heavily involved in the LL Program and asks me to help out during tournament time.

I do not keep-up with the LL rules as I once did, so for anyone who gives some of their time to help out with the tournament, Dave's Chart comes in mighty handy.

To this day whatever one says or feels about LL, there are plenty of GLM or GLW (Good looking Women) which makes the tournamnet all worth while.

Pete Booth

Old Mon May 30, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
There is a world of difference between little league umpires and umpires who work little league.

GB
What is the difference?

If you are worried about what someone thinks of you because you work a baseball game, you have too much time on your hands. I have worked little league for years and then I stopped. The games stopped being about the kids and became about the parents and what they wanted their kids to do. If someone wants to subject themselves to that kind of drama be my quest. I am surely not going to get in their way.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PS2Man
Quote:
There is a world of difference between little league umpires and umpires who work little league.

GB
What is the difference?

Night and day.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Night and day.
What the heck is that suppose to mean? Night and day how?
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Quote:

GB
What is the difference?

If you are worried about what someone thinks of you because you work a baseball game, you have too much time on your hands. I have worked little league for years and then I stopped. The games stopped being about the kids and became about the parents and what they wanted their kids to do. If someone wants to subject themselves to that kind of drama be my quest. I am surely not going to get in their way.
IMO, "Little League Umpires" are into the political power trip. They only work LL, they are active on the board, they don't attend clinics, but they show up on the field and aggressively take control of the dugouts, stands and ballfield...unfortunately in that order. They are in charge of that piece (the game) of the organization for two hours a pop, and per LL rule book, even the president is under his control (somewhat). Power trip. Then they trade "war stories" with the coaches in the parking lot after the game.

Umpires who work LL don't care about the politics of the league. They work the game to the best of their ability, and leave. They don't go shaking coaches hands after the game, and they don't hang out next to the dugout or stands chit chatting. They don't go into the dugout looking for trouble. They don't worry about what is going on on the next field. I had a guy I was working with leave my field, run over to the stands of the next field, and yell at the coach and catcher, that catcher had to have mask on to take infield. Yes that is a rule, but geez, OOO on a power trip to do what this guy did. That, in a nutshell, is the difference.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TBBlue

IMO, "Little League Umpires" are into the political power trip. They only work LL, they are active on the board, they don't attend clinics, but they show up on the field and aggressively take control of the dugouts, stands and ballfield...unfortunately in that order. They are in charge of that piece (the game) of the organization for two hours a pop, and per LL rule book, even the president is under his control (somewhat). Power trip. Then they trade "war stories" with the coaches in the parking lot after the game.

Umpires who work LL don't care about the politics of the league. They work the game to the best of their ability, and leave. They don't go shaking coaches hands after the game, and they don't hang out next to the dugout or stands chit chatting. They don't go into the dugout looking for trouble. They don't worry about what is going on on the next field. I had a guy I was working with leave my field, run over to the stands of the next field, and yell at the coach and catcher, that catcher had to have mask on to take infield. Yes that is a rule, but geez, OOO on a power trip to do what this guy did. That, in a nutshell, is the difference.
I must do not know any LL umpires. I have never known of an umpire that was involved in the board. I did work with a couple of the assignors that worked a lot more baseball than LL and assigned other leagues or types of baseball. If that is the definition I have never met a so-called LL umpire.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

PS2,
You are lucky, and by your posts I didn't take you to be a "LL Umpire". Trust me, they exist, especially when you have a politically strong district with a large volunteer umpire crew. "LL umpires" aren't the majority, but the few of them that exist are so over the top, yet basically clueless, that they give the whole group a bad reputation by association.

Garth, I believe this is the point you were making.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PS2,
You are lucky, and by your posts I didn't take you to be a "LL Umpire". Trust me, they exist, especially when you have a politically strong district with a large volunteer umpire crew. "LL umpires" aren't the majority, but the few of them that exist are so over the top, yet basically clueless, that they give the whole group a bad reputation by association.

I was not taking offense to what you said. I was just asking what you meant by that term. I just consider myself an umpire. I do not classify myself to a specific league or level. I work what I am asked to do and what I am available to work. I guess I do not concern myself with the labels.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
PS2,

I was not taking offense to what you said. I was just asking what you meant by that term. I just consider myself an umpire. I do not classify myself to a specific league or level. I work what I am asked to do and what I am available to work. I guess I do not concern myself with the labels.
Me too. Other than I don't have the desire to go above HS, because for me it becomes a job at that point.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Ah BUT,

See my upcoming article on the paid portion of this site.

"Working with Smitty, the Little League guy wearing his ball bags on the bases."

Old Mon May 30, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Heheheheeeeee...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

"Working with Smitty, the Little League guy wearing his ball bags on the bases."

"Film at 11"
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ah BUT,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Tim,

I have seen guys working high school varsity game wearing a ball bag on the bases. This is not something that is special to Little League.