The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Hello - IÂ’m hoping for some input and understanding of my obligation as an umpire to answering a question from a coach regarding a close play.

Sitch: Pony baseball (15 - 16 yo) OBR. I'm doing game solo from behind the plate.

R1 and R3, one out. R1 steals. Catchers throw sails 12 - 15 feet to right of 2 base. F4 catches the throw and lunges for R1. I'm up 1st baseline 5' or so and I call safe.

Off. coach comes out asking (doesn't ask for time) from a distance where the tag was.

So my question is; how much of an obligation do we have as umpires to explain our calls?

Thank you for your opinions.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brumey1107
Hello - IÂ’m hoping for some input and understanding of my obligation as an umpire to answering a question from a coach regarding a close play.

Sitch: Pony baseball (15 - 16 yo) OBR. I'm doing game solo from behind the plate.

R1 and R3, one out. R1 steals. Catchers throw sails 12 - 15 feet to right of 2 base. F4 catches the throw and lunges for R1. I'm up 1st baseline 5' or so and I call safe.

Off. coach comes out asking (doesn't ask for time) from a distance where the tag was.

So my question is; how much of an obligation do we have as umpires to explain our calls?

Why would the offensive coach come out if you called "safe?"

In any event, if the coach is polite, I'd answer the question. If not, I'd likely be a smart-*** at this level, but you have to have the right personality to pull this off.

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

My bad... sorry, in to much of a hurry. Defensive coach.

Thanks for catching that...
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Thumbs down

brumey1107,

Sometimes it's sooooo embarrassing to be a coach. Let me offer my apology on behalf of my colleague for his atrociously "bad manners" on the occasion you describe.

In your situation, I would say that the only "obligation" you have (and the only response the coach "deserves") is to deliver a brief soliloquy on the proper procedure and conditions for engaging an umpire in a conversation regarding a ruling he made during a game.

If you were feeling especially generous and the coach had otherwise not been acting like a jerk, I would suggest "Not on his person" as an in-depth response to the coach's question.

JM

(Edited to reflect which coach asked)

[Edited by CoachJM on May 26th, 2005 at 12:58 PM]
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Why is it considered appropriate for coaches to enter the field of play to argue a call? If time is called, sure. If they are base coach they are already there, alright. They may have actually had a better angle.

But, the coach who storms onto the field should be run.

No if's, and's or but's. Run the guy or at least confine them to the bench and then run them.

As both an official and a coach it just drive me nuts to see this. Especially at lower levels!
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

First off now you know why you are doing the game solo.

No decent coach will question that play from a solo umpire. The throw was bad so whether or not there was or wasn't a tag is irrelevant.

When working solo on the play you describe you do not owe the coach any explanation. Also, he did not ask for time so he doesn't deserve anything.

Advice: Stay away from umpiring these types of leagues. You can bet that this wasn't the first time this particular coach acted this way. There's a reason you are umpiring solo and that's because your no-show partner is probably working Legion Ball.

Pete Booth

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My first comment would have been, "Coach, there was no tag, thats why I called hime safe."

At the begining of EVERY game, I tell the coaches, "I will be glad to answer any question you may have, if you kindly wait until I call Time." I make the same offer when officiating Ice Hockey also.

I don't believe we have ANY obligation to explain our call, however I will state to the coach what is it I saw after he has stated his case, give him a few more seconds to have the final say, (that always builds their ego up), and then let him know the game will now proceed. This may require a little more discussion if there is an interpretation to explain but regardless, I explain to him that we are moving on with the game.

Getting a little respect, sometimes means giving a little. Presenting an "I know it all", "Don't talk to me", "I am above you" arrogance, does nothing more than challange the coach to a duel. Realize one thing, you have the final say. Flaunting your power will not get you as far as you may think. Using it wisely, will.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

"Coach, we're not going to charge out of the dugout to argue judgement calls, are we?" Something like that almost always settles them down a tad, and sometimes brings forth an apology, and lets you discuss whatever he's upset about calmly.

Then, "Coach, I called safe because I saw no tag." Nuff said. Or - if I called him out, "Coach, he tagged him on the ponytail. Get that kid to cut his hair and he's safe."
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

You have absolutely no obligation to answer any question. The only obligation you have is to call the game and get your calls right. A coach is at the mercy of the umpire. It is not the job of the umpire to answer questions. I have been known to be sarcastic is many cases like this if the coach does not approach me or my partner in the right way. A coach complaining about a judgment call can be ejected on the spot. I am not suggesting that you do that every time, but the rules leave it up to the umpire to make that decision.

Peace
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

"Off. coach comes out asking (doesn't ask for time) from a distance where the tag was."
---------
I'dsay: "He11 if I know, let me ask my partner!"

Then I'd add, "get off the field!"
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"Off. coach comes out asking (doesn't ask for time) from a distance where the tag was."
---------

Perfect!

Had sitch working solo on a chech swing. Catcher points down to 1st for appeal, I point to the 1st base coach "did he go?", he gives me the safe signal.

Gotta good laugh!
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for all for your input, opinions and suggestions.

No doubt what really helps and counts is having the experience and poise in dealing with these types of situations at the time. jicecone and and mcrowder I'll try and remember those helpful lines should this sitch come my way again.

...now the rest of the story...

... after Coach asked I just told the coach "He's safe".
Being:
1) it was a judgment call,
2) didn't request time
3) working solo
ect...

He responds back with "I'm just asking a question". I say "Coach, in the dugout!" and turn and begin walking back to the plate.

Then I hear (you'll love this!!!) the coach yelling to his second baseman "Did you tag him?"

So that's when I spun around and dumped him!!

... on top of all that, a 1/2 inning later he's standing behind the stands no more than 15' from the dugout/field. So, I stop the game and ask him to leave or threaten to have them forfeit.

If nothing else a great learning experiance.

Enjoy your day!!

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:
---------

Perfect!

Had sitch working solo on a chech swing. Catcher points down to 1st for appeal, I point to the 1st base coach "did he go?", he gives me the safe signal.

Gotta good laugh!
Similar story. Had a game where partner was a no show. In the third inning idiot coach tells me to get some help on a check swing call. Runner is on first so I called time. Then I pointed to B position and yell, "Did he go?"

I ran out to B position signaled safe and answered "No, he didn't go" and returned to the plate. I aim to please.

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
---------
I'd say: "He11 if I know, let me ask my partner!"

ROTFLMAO...............

Same ole Tee........good to see you haven't changed

Freix

Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for all for your input, opinions and suggestions.

No doubt what really helps and counts is having the experience and poise in dealing with these types of situations at the time. jicecone and and mcrowder I'll try and remember those helpful lines should this sitch come my way again.

...now the rest of the story...

... after Coach asked I just told the coach "He's safe".
Being:
1) it was a judgment call,
2) didn't request time
3) working solo
ect...

He responds back with "I'm just asking a question". I say "Coach, in the dugout!" and turn and begin walking back to the plate.

Then I hear (you'll love this!!!) the coach yelling to his second baseman "Did you tag him?"

So that's when I spun around and dumped him!!

... on top of all that, a 1/2 inning later he's standing behind the stands no more than 15' from the dugout/field. So, I stop the game and ask him to leave or threaten to have them forfeit.

If nothing else a great learning experiance.

Enjoy your day!!

My advice to you on handling Coaches:

Since the play was over simply call time as he exits the dugout. Since your working the game solo be sure to meet the Coach away from the home plate area. Let him come to you. That way if you must eject he's perceived as the aggressor. Hear what he has to say and then start off by repeating what he just said. Let me see if I understand you the throw was wide your fielder caught the ball and lunged and tagged the runner. Then tell him what you saw. "The runner was on the base before he was tagged." If the Coach repeats himself say Coach we've already discussed this lets play ball. Turn and go back to the Plate. The vast majority of the time he'll go back to the bench. If he follows you to the plate (he will be perceived as the aggressor) give him the "stop sign" if he persists now he's fair game for an ejection. One more comment to me the Coach asking his player if he tagged the runner would not cause me to eject. He's simply asking his player a question and it's not directed at you. It's OK to let the Coach have the last word so long as it's not directed at you personally. The way you described the ejection (spun around and dumped him) I would perceive you as the aggressor. IMO you want to avoid this perception.

Your job is to defuse the situation. I would avoid sarcastic remarks or smart a** replies. This could only add fuel to the fire. You don't want to be "shown up" likewise don't "show up" the Coach. You want to be treated with respect the Coach deserves to be treated with respect as well.