Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
This from espn's Jason Stark.
===========================
How consistent were umpires this spring?

In theory, this spring was supposed to help everyone get a feel for the new zone. In actual life, all it wound up doing was making many players more confused.

"There's no such thing as a low strike now," Wagner said. "And I'm not knocking the umpires when I say that. But they say they're going to call the high strike. Then you throw it up there, and they don't call it. So you get the ball back down, and you don't get that. So now you're right back in the hitting zone. And it don't matter how hard you throw if you throw it there. So I don't understand what they're trying to do.

"I know they're trying, but I don't know how hard they're trying. Either they won't call the high pitch, or they'll call the high pitch but they won't call the low pitch. Maybe it will be better once everyone gets an idea where it's at. But right now, nobody knows where the strike zone is."

However, umpires say, from their perspective, they've seen no evidence this spring that they've been concentrating too hard on the high strike and ignoring the low strike.

"We're not giving up on that pitch," Welke insisted. "We can't. We won't."

But hitters and managers have had the same observation. And the consensus is also that the diligence with which umpires even called the high strike varied widely.

"I've had a few balls that were up there that were called balls," Plesac said. "But I didn't complain about it because I haven't been accustomed to getting strikes in that area.

"I did pitch a game the other day where I struck out Henry Rodriguez with a 3-2 slider. Probably, under the new definition, it's a strike. But I didn't expect to get a called strike three. If I throw a ball there 10 times, it's probably a ball nine times. But this time, I got it. And I said, 'Hey, I like this new strike zone.' "

Then again, if the umpires haven't gotten this down yet, why should anyone have expected otherwise. Many umps have been feeling their way just as much as the players.

"I sense some uncertainty from the umpires," said Phillies catcher Mike Lieberthal. "They're asking me questions because it's hard for them to get used to calling that pitch up there (above the waist). They'll say, 'Damn, I'm not used to calling that one. That's going to be a tough one to call.'

"I just tell them I'll help them out," Lieberthal chuckled. "I say, 'Just ask. I'll let you know if it's a strike.' "
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I watched the Red Sox/Yankees scrimmage today. I don't know who was behind the plate.

I saw only two pitches that were called strikes throughout the entire game that I thought would not have been called last year.

There were some pitches that I felt, under the new zone, should have been called strikes.

But who am I? I suppose it's much easier sitting in my Lay-Z-Boy with a beer mug in one hand and a bag of Lays in the other.

Laying around, that's all I've got to do. I've lost a week of games because of snow! Damned New England weather.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I've watched as many games as I could this spring and have seen little or no evidence of the "new" zone. In fact, for some umpires their zone is as low, and as wide as ever.

For all the flurry, announcements and pronouncements, there has been little result visible to date in the games I have watched.

Inconsistency seems to be the rule of the day and the catchers and pitchers know it. The TV commentators have clammed up about the new zone as well since they have little or no video evidence. The print press seems to be making the biggest noise. We watched pitch after pitch go for a ball in a game last week, then on a 3-2 a pitch inches higher then anything earlier suddenly became a strike ... with the batter half way to first base.

Once FOX starts broadcasting their "analysis" it will be there for all to see again, and then the comments will start to fly again.

Such is life ...

Brent McLaren