The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

An umpire called a "fielders balk" on my 12u team because the first basemen was in foul territory when he was holding the runner. We follow MLB rules and I can't find any penalty for a defensive player being positioned in foul territory. Was this the proper call? Thanks.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Check OBR Rule 4.03

There is no penalty for it, but thats the rule usually cited when someone balks it.

When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory. (a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher's box until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. PENALTY: Balk. (b) The pitcher, while in the act of delivering the ball to the batter, shall take his legal position; (c) Except the pitcher and the catcher, any fielder may station himself anywhere in fair territory; (d) Except the batter, or a runner attempting to score, no offensive player shall cross the catcher's lines when the ball is in play.

[Edited by aevans410 on May 20th, 2005 at 03:10 PM]
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Wink

JLG,

You can not find an OBR rule specifying a penalty for this because it does not exist.

There is a rule that says all members of the defense (other than the catcher) must position themselves in fair territory when the ball is put in play:

"4.03
When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory.
"

The only "penalty" is that if a fielder does not line up in fair territory, the umpire may instruct him to do so. I suppose that willful refusal to comply with the umpire's instruction could eventually lead to the player's ejection.

Generally, this requirement is ignored unless one manager or the other requests that the umpire enforce it. Then it is strictly enforced for both teams.

Under OBR, this is never properly ruled a balk.

JM
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aevans410
Check OBR Rule 4.03

When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory. (a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher's box until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. PENALTY: Balk. (b) The pitcher, while in the act of delivering the ball to the batter, shall take his legal position; (c) Except the pitcher and the catcher, any fielder may station himself anywhere in fair territory; (d) Except the batter, or a runner attempting to score, no offensive player shall cross the catcher's lines when the ball is in play.

The balk penalty only applies to 4.03(a) - stepping out of the catcher's box on an intentional walk.

There is no penalty stated for b, c, and d.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, I noticed that. I amended my post to reflect that too. I think I did it while you were posting.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 02:09pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
If the 1B is holding the runner wouldn't he/she have a foot on the bag? And since the bag is in fair territory that would mean the the 1B has posiotned himself in fair territory.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
If the 1B is holding the runner wouldn't he/she have a foot on the bag? And since the bag is in fair territory that would mean the the 1B has posiotned himself in fair territory.
In FED rules, one foot in and one foot out is legal, considered to be "in fair territory." In OBR, both feet must be in fair territory for the fielder to be considered "in fair territory." With respect to the F3 holding a runner at 1B with one foot in and one foot out, professional instruction is to ignore this unless the offensive manager complains, and then to enforce it strictly against both teams.