The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

In my area we have no association and he get our games directly from AD's. I'm not completely sure why I want to try and start an association, but if I do, what suggestions can you guys give me to make it successful.

This is what I thought I might try to do. Maybe sometime in early Sept, have four or five college level umps come down and put on a clinic. Have a morning to work on plate mechanics in the cage, work on base and plate positioning on the field. Maybe if we have time some situational strategies, rule interp, etc. Then in the afternoon, bring in three teams to play each other and have the participating umpires work a few innings while being evaluated by the big dogs.

I thought if I could bring in some of the umpires in this area, we could work on unifying our mechanics. This way we would be more familiar with each other when we show up at a game and are working together.

While at the clinic I was going to propose the idea of an area assocation. The main objective would be that we have an avenue for communication. If we have open dates or need to help AD's find someone, then we will have a list of people to choose from.

Problems:

Is it necessary?
How could I motivate umpires to want to come to clinic?
How much would I charge?
How much should I pay the clinicians?
What would be a good name for the association?
(we live in south central Missouri)
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
In my area we have no association and he get our games directly from AD's. I'm not completely sure why I want to try and start an association, but if I do, what suggestions can you guys give me to make it successful.

This is what I thought I might try to do. Maybe sometime in early Sept, have four or five college level umps come down and put on a clinic. Have a morning to work on plate mechanics in the cage, work on base and plate positioning on the field. Maybe if we have time some situational strategies, rule interp, etc. Then in the afternoon, bring in three teams to play each other and have the participating umpires work a few innings while being evaluated by the big dogs.

I thought if I could bring in some of the umpires in this area, we could work on unifying our mechanics. This way we would be more familiar with each other when we show up at a game and are working together.

While at the clinic I was going to propose the idea of an area assocation. The main objective would be that we have an avenue for communication. If we have open dates or need to help AD's find someone, then we will have a list of people to choose from.

Problems:

Is it necessary?
How could I motivate umpires to want to come to clinic?
How much would I charge?
How much should I pay the clinicians?
What would be a good name for the association?
(we live in south central Missouri)
The name is easy, SCMUA (South Central Missouri Umpires Association)

First contact the AD's and suggest that you will coordinate with them to supply officials to their games. NOW, the officials will automatically wnat to get to know you because you will have the games. If you want this to be a contract that is up to you. Start organizing with other officials to set up a organizational structure. Develope By-laws and begin informal meetings first.

Then start contacting local Leagues to get games for summer ball. Again, if you don't have the games, your not getting ANY officials.

Just remenber one thing though. You have to convince everyone that your intentions are to truly start an officials organization, with plans to train and service the AD's and leagues. Not a organization that is just servicing YOUR needs. That will be very important in how you progress.

I set up an organization for Ice Hockey Officials and it took time to convince people (approx 3 yrs) that my intentions were for the betterment of the game and officiating, rather than personnal, and finacial gain. I wet from 10 to 125 officials.

Now once you get this off the ground then you can start talking about training. Its always nice to have some big muckety mucks come in and show you their wares, but there is tons of material out there to help with self improvement, and learning the basics. Don't get me wrong here, if you have the money, go for it. Your definitely going to get better instruction and direction.

Finally, the most important advice I can suggest for a good organization is: 1. That you get as many people involved in running the organization as possible, 2. Be fair in assigning. Assigning games by ability first and friendship second, 3. Make sure it is the MEMBERS ASSOCIATION and NOT a Club for a few.

Good Luck
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

You need to decide the purpose(s) of the organization.

Assigning games can be, but needn't be, one of the purposes. Training, *****ing about coaches, getting better rates, general kibbitzing (sp?), getting more umpires, training the coaches / players (on rules, generally), centralized contact lists, etc. can all be other purposes.

Old Tue May 17, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Why

I belong to an association in St. Louis, we have games into the Ironton Area. Try calling GSLAU or visiting the website at http://gslau.com They should be able to help.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

that's just the thing EMD, you have one in St. Louis, there is associations in the Rolla area, Springfield, Poplar Bluff, but nothing in the West Plains area. We need something around here. I want:
-Umpires that have uniform mechanics and rule knowledge
-An assignor that cares about promoting umpires that strive to be better
-Knowledge that when you show up to a game you will be working with someone that is qualified
-Our state allows anyone to be an umpire as long as they pay their membership fees. No requirement for mechanics clinics. This allows anyone to buy a shirt and walk out on the field and give it a try.