The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 12:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
For example I'm smart, but should of been smart enough (a bit more insightful) to deal with this situation.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

What?

The phrase is not "should of". It's "should have". That's his point. I completely fail to understand your response to Bob. Maybe you 'should of' read his post more clearly - it was entirely grammar-related.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
yea but aren't there degrees of smart? LOL Your comment implies that there was never any smartest to begin with (which also might be the case).
1. Who says yea nowadays? I believe you meant to say "yeah".
2. Your second sentence makes no sense at all.

Quote:
For example I'm smart, but should of been smart enough (a bit more insightful) to deal with this situation.
You just did it again.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

No, there's no "should of been smart." It's "should have been smart enough." Yours is a version of the spoken phrase "shoulda been smart," which is a conversational contraction of "should have." But it's not grammatically correct. Now back to the countdown!

Old Thu May 12, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

okay, I was just trying to be funny, I was not trying to start something. I apologize for my poor grammar. I misunderstood where the grammar mistake occurred. I thought it was directed at the "smart enough" part, not the "of" instead of "have". I misread and interpreted the comment to imply that you were either smart or not smart and that smart enough was inappropriate. Please forgive my grammatical error.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
"Should've would've worked fine...
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is the feedback I was hoping for. Thanks guys. I will say that I don't think I lost focus during the play, but do admit that I should of discussed with BU. I should of been smart enough to correct the situation when I learned that the kid walking to the dugout was R1.
Discussing situations on the forum has definitely made me a better umpire and I want to thank you guys for that.
It would also help that if you make a verbal out call followed by a safe sign that you very emphatically sell this call verbally, and repeatedly, SAFE, SAFE and repeat the safe sign. Then the runner will not be so inclined to leave for the dugout.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Was the bobble due to a transfer? I take it there was only 1 or no outs and the possibility of a double play and the very real possibility that it was on the transfer. As PU watching for the FPSR you could have helped with that if the BU kicked it as being on the transfer.
In either case seems to me there was some poor timing on the BU part and he needed to stand up and fix his error, not have you fix it for him. Yes on the DP you will make that out call a little faster than normal but still slow enough you could see a straight dropping of the ball or a drop on the transfer and still make that one call of safe or out (on the trasnfer drop, of course you want to re-emphasise that the runner is still out with "He's out! He's out, He's still out!)

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

as stated earlier if I was BU I would of done what DG suggested. As far as the bobble, it was not on the transfer. 2B never got control of ball from what I could tell. The whole situation should of be avoided, but once the mistake was made, then we have to try and correct.

Let me ask you guys, say you run into either of these coaches down the road. Do you discuss the situation and possibly admit that all three runners should of been placed back on the bases? Both of these coaches are reasonable people and I know them well. But, does this matter? Should you ever discuss past occurrences with coaches? Does it make you look inadequate or does it show you investigated the situation to try and find out the right ruling. Remember, I am only talking about the "freak" situations that very seldom come up in a game.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 08:12am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
as stated earlier if I was BU I would of done what DG suggested. As far as the bobble, it was not on the transfer. 2B never got control of ball from what I could tell. The whole situation should of be avoided, but once the mistake was made, then we have to try and correct.

Let me ask you guys, say you run into either of these coaches down the road. Do you discuss the situation and possibly admit that all three runners should of been placed back on the bases? Both of these coaches are reasonable people and I know them well. But, does this matter? Should you ever discuss past occurrences with coaches? Does it make you look inadequate or does it show you investigated the situation to try and find out the right ruling. Remember, I am only talking about the "freak" situations that very seldom come up in a game.
All coaches are not equal.
Do what feels good at the time.

If pressed, tell them it bothered you, too, and that is why you further explored the results of the play.
mick