The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Are there many diabetic umpires out there, especially at higher levels of play?
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

Yes, As a long time assignor, I had to become familiar with the medical conditions of my umpires. I would estimate that between five and ten percent were diabetic. A couple of them did D1 ball.

Diabetes cost one of them his leg and at a least one has died. Others have been forced into retirement by the disease. Standing on your feet in freezing weather when you have poor circulation in your feet is not the best thing in the world. Being out in 90+ degree weather is likewise not healthy when one has sugar problems.

These umpires decided that having fun was more important that good health. However, I am not an expert on the subject. I am sure that there are ways to umpire and still manage the disease but a doctor would be the best one to consult.

Scheduled meals of fixed sizes is extremely important for diabeitcs. Umpiring at high levels does not lend itself to this.

Peter
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

I am the president of our association with approx 200 members. I know of three who are diabetics. In all cases, they monitor their levels before the game, hydrate well during the game, and monitor again after the game. We had one who experienced some problems on a hot and humid July 4th during his third game of the day. He now limits himself to stay within his physical constraints.

As was said in the above post; they enjoy this enough to have learned how to work around it. I applaud them!
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I'm type 2. No problems since I have found out about it. Worst I had before was some lightheadedness. Since I have it under control with diet, no problems. If taken care of a person could go out on a field with type one diabeties. Heck if Bret Michaels of Poison fame could go out and do concerts as a type 1 diabetic (he had to take insulin) then an umpire should be able to handle a ball game.

Coming from a family with a long history of diabeties I have learned you can do anything you want with diabeties as long as you control it properly.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.