The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

In our major league division (11/12 yoa) Carl Ripken, there is a local "rule" that after 6 innings the game is tied, no play off.
What is the formula for calcuting the standings?

1 win 1 loss 2 ties

1 win 0 loss 2 ties

0 win 0 loss 3 ties

Examples?

Is a in compute this in the rule book or on some other authority?
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

(Wins + (Ties/2)) divided by (Total Games)

1 win 1 loss 2 ties = .500

1 win 0 loss 2 ties = .667

0 win 0 loss 3 ties = .500
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

You could also count each tie as one-half game won and one-half game lost for each team. The winning percentages come out the same.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikispringer
In our major league division (11/12 yoa) Carl Ripken, there is a local "rule" that after 6 innings the game is tied, no play off.
What is the formula for calcuting the standings?

1 win 1 loss 2 ties

1 win 0 loss 2 ties

0 win 0 loss 3 ties

Examples?

Is a in compute this in the rule book or on some other authority?
I prefer 1/2 win and 1/2 loss goes down in the record and let percentages fall where they may. However, the Babe Ruth rule book suggests the following, "After the regular season is concluded, if the tie game afffects the league standing of either team involved, the game is replayed as a new game. Pitching eligibility for the replay is determined according to the calendar week in which the game is played."

I once coached in such a game. We had played an 8 inning 1-1 tie earlier in the season before game was called for curfew. At the end of the season the tie meant nothing to us, but if the other team had won that game they would have finished in 1st place. So we played them again and got lost by a good margin. My team was down to 9 players, some of which were not my best, as some went off for vacation, and the other team was at full roster, becuase it meant 1st place for them.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, used the .5 to won and .5 to lost, divided wins by total games, looks great.
Is there an "authority" for doing it one way or the other?
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

DG,
Thanks for the reply. The difference, as I see it, the local league "decided" to not play ties, to stop at the end of 6 innings, no time limits reached.
I am thinking if they do that the ties have to be factored in?
Who knows, guess this will come down to a committee meeting!
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, used the .5 to won and .5 to lost, divided wins by total games, looks great.
Is there an "authority" for doing it one way or the other?

Use either 'method' - winning percentage will be exactly the same in each.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DG,
Thanks for the reply. The difference, as I see it, the local league "decided" to not play ties, to stop at the end of 6 innings, no time limits reached.
I am thinking if they do that the ties have to be factored in?
Who knows, guess this will come down to a committee meeting!
The league I was coaching in wanted no ties, so you would play until complete unless the curfew was reached, which was 10:30. No inning could start after 10:30. We were the second game of the night and after 8 innings we were still tied.

If the league does not play beyond 6 they still have a problem, what to do about ties. Cal Ripken does not endorse playing beyond 6 either, but still suggests a final game to decide placement, if it matters. They factor ties by saying the two teams should play again to decide the issue. Time limit or curfew, same difference, a tie was game and what to do about it. I like a half game win and a half game lost, but CR suggests a final game to decide it all. I think there is a parallel in major league baseball. There have been extra games to decide the division, but between teams that were tied, not between teams that had a tie game earlier in the year.

I see two options, play again, or use the half game approach, which means there would never be a play again game.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
There's no "authority" on how to do this because ties are a concept foriegn to baseball.

Our local little league last year had a situation come up in minors at the end of the season where one team took first place if you counted each tie as a half win but another team was in first if you used pure winning percentage. I don't recall the specifics about the numbers, but one of the teams had played less games due to some rainouts not made up.

So our league decided that wins from forfeits would be ignored. Any game decided by forfeit would be scored as if it had never been played. The reasoning was that a team doesn't actually earn a forfeit. The league would then use pure winning percentage to determine standings.

I pointed out that my plans for next season was to win the first game and forfeit the 19 remaining games, thus ensuring my perfect winning percentage and my team's place at the top of the standings.

The league decided instead to hold a single game playoff between the two teams and to not allow ties in divisions that keep standings.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the advice. I agree with the comments that there shouldn't be ties. At this time we have 3 teams with 2 ties! The "solution" was to do a play off the games at the end of the season if they matter, and they will. Not a good situation.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

If three teams tied for 1st place, and all have 2 ties, I would go with the ratio of runs scored vs runs allowed against the other two opponents to break the tie.