The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have been asked to take over the umpire coord. job next year. It pays $2.25 per umpire per game that I assign. It is a rec. league starting with pre-K all they way up to 11/12 year olds. Each diamond has two umpires except for the pre-k. So I would have to fill 15 games a day which would have a two man crew on each game. So 30 umpires at $2.25 = $67.50 a day.

Is this a fair price or to big of a pain in the butt?

Thanks
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lc_huxter
I have been asked to take over the umpire coord. job next year. It pays $2.25 per umpire per game that I assign. It is a rec. league starting with pre-K all they way up to 11/12 year olds. Each diamond has two umpires except for the pre-k. So I would have to fill 15 games a day which would have a two man crew on each game. So 30 umpires at $2.25 = $67.50 a day.

Thanks
I have never been an assignor, but if you can't make assigning what you could make umpiring it ain't a good deal. So can you make $67.50 a day umpiring?
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

DON'T EVER think your going to make a fair wage for this work. I used to handle approx. 2500 games a season. Which is about 3600 assignments, (1 & 2 man games). by the time I divided what I made, by the hours I spent, it probably worked out to half of minimum wage, per hour.

Lets assume the average fee for each umpire is $15-$20 a game. (Rec League) OK, $17.50 X 30 = $525.
$67.50 is about 12% - 13% of that. thats probably fair.

I think the going rate is 8% to 10%.

Now, if you don't like listening to excuses at the last minute and phone calls at all times of the day and night, and last minute changes, and this is just from the officials only. The leagues, coaches and board members are even a bigger pain in the ***. Then your probably better off officiating.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lc_huxter

Thanks
Like everything in life, it comes down to a choice. Which is more important to you, your time or $67.50?

Old Sat May 07, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I don't ever want to be responsible for that many "part-time" people. Your crew will give you every excuse in the book. The days people decide to stroll in whenever they want will be extremely stressful. Umps will argue rule interps with you. Fans will argue that your umps are illiterate, coaches will complain about which way the wind is blowing, your commissioner will screw up pay and now your guys are mad at you, players will get hurt and their parents will blame it on you. Other than that, it's a great position. HaHa. IMO, it's not worth it even if they paid me enough annual salary to make it a full time gig.