The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

R1, R2. Pitcher throws to 2nd and catches R2 off bag. Defense has R2 in pickle. I, as PU, come from behind plate. As I get in front, the defense has now decided to play on R1 that is heading toward second. They now have R1 in a pickle. I begin to commit myself up the first base line and inform my partner that I am there. (Which was probably what screwed everthing up to begin with). I then realize that R2 has advanced to third and I may have a play at the plate. I retreat and tell my partner, "I'm going home" Well he didn't hear me and there is a missed tag at first and he calls R1 out, after looking over to me, thinking I was in position at first.

An argument prevails and all the time I am trying to get my partner's attention to come to me for addtional information however, he is discussiong with the irate coach, about what the coach thought was a missed obstruction call at first. Which did not happen.

Well, the coach never did ask about the missed tag until the next inning, and I could not step in fast enough (nor did I think I should), to get the call correct.

Bottom line , it just looked ugly on our part. Which I probably caused.Three umps would have worked nicely but, there were only two.

Any suggestions. Should I have inserted myself into the discussion to correct the call, even though they were'nt discussing the tag? Should I just have stayed at the plate?
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

As soon as the defense began to make a play on R1, "I'm at home, I'm at home" Real loud.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

jicecone

I think staying out of it was the right thing to do. If your P needed help I'm sure he would have come to you. If you would have intervened your P may have lost more credibility with the coach on his call.

Sounds like you did the right things here.

Sh!t happens!
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

jcone, I am assuming that you moved up toward third during the original rundown. Once the defense shifted toward other runner, you would need to stay with R2 by moving back toward the plate. Once you decleare that you are going home, he will know that the second rundown is his baby.
As far as intervening, I would not have unless my partner asked for a conference. But to be honest, if you would of went home, there would of not be a need for a conference. Whatever would of happened between second and first would of totally been his call.

You know what you are doing, and learning from freak happenings like this is what makes us better in the future. This situation may not come up in the next 100 games you do, but when it does, the back of your mind will tell you to not abandon the lead runner.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Good point mentioned, to stay with the lead runner...

Sounds like you did your best with a 2 man crew...
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by jicecone

R1, R2. Pitcher throws to 2nd and catches R2 off bag. Defense has R2 in pickle. I, as PU, come from behind plate. As I get in front, the defense has now decided to play on R1 that is heading toward second. They now have R1 in a pickle. I begin to commit myself up the first base line and inform my partner that I am there.

Stay with the lead runner. Once you are in position tell your partner "Steve I've got the lead runner"

The reason you stay with the lead runner is because there could be a potential play at the plate and there is no confusion.

Should the lead runner head back towards second communicate this loudly with your partner.

In a 2 Person crew as PU always stay with lead runner because you never know what is going to happen especially if there is a play at the plate. It's one thing not to have any umpires covering first base it's another to have No-one covering Home plate.

Pete Booth