The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gozer Send a message via Yahoo to Gozer
Ok this is a LL game 12U. My friend (my base umpire) and I as PU get to the field and do our standard walk around to establish ground rules. We notice that the foul poles are about three feet to the foul side of first and third. We have the pregame and tell the coaches that we are playing as if the poles don't exist because it is where the bases are aligned. Also the foul lines were not painted all the way past the bases. Horrible field condition. Anyway, top of the first and a kid jacks the ball to left field and it nocks the pole. We both raise our hands and call "foul ball." Coach comes out without calling time and procedes to go up one side and down the other. I stop him half way and send him-a-packing, especially sense he dropped the f*bomb half way through loud enough for the fans and kids to hear it.

Later on in the game, a sliding runner pulls his arm in trying to trap a passed ball to the third base player. I call intentional interference, runner out. Asst. Coach comes out after me. I just look at him and tell him to goto the dugout and he follows me like a lost sick puppy. I turn around and tell him again and he gets about an inch from my face so I send him packing also. I had trouble not laughing at how mean this guy got over an obvious play.

Really a good game, just bad "coach-parents." Anyway on the foul pole thingy, is that what you guys would have done or would you have moved foul and fair territory to fit how everything aligned. I really feel good about how I called the game, just a wierd night.

Anyway take care,

Kenny
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 10:54pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Gozer
Anyway on the foul pole thingy, is that what you guys would have done or would you have moved foul and fair territory to fit how everything aligned. I really feel good about how I called the game, just a wierd night.
Kenny,
If both poles were 3' outa the baseline, my guess is that the plate was approximately 4'3" too close to center field and that the bases were based upon the erroneously positioned home plate.

I wouldn't have bothered re-setting the bases unless it could have been done easily and quickly.

If a quick reset was possible, I would do it, unless the fair lines were just marked. With the fair lines marked I agree with, "Play!"

mick
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Ya the posts were planted, we couldnt have done anything... so i just said dont bother with the foul poles, it's my discression on fair foul. Coach didnt like it but oh well he didnt stay around too long anyway.

Kenny
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 05:21am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Ya the posts were planted, we couldnt have done anything... so i just said dont bother with the foul poles, it's my discression on fair foul. Coach didnt like it but oh well he didnt stay around too long anyway.
I'm sure the posts were planted, Kenny.
The fence was probably erected by professionals.

However, the bases and lines could be moved for the next game.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Ya I notified our "comissioner" about the problem and the coaches and he told me I did the right thing... I guess they wernt expecting a Varsity umpire to be dooing little league games, and thought that the could push me around.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ya I notified our "comissioner" about the problem and the coaches and he told me I did the right thing... I guess they wernt expecting a Varsity umpire to be dooing little league games, and thought that the could push me around.
That sounds familiar

It seems most LL umpires may be related somehow.