The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

I personally don't. The partner I worked with last night did. I was just curious on how many of you guys actually do rub the shine off of the baseballs.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

OK,

aevans410:

Let me get this straight:

You don't rub down the game balls before the game?

If you don't who does?

I ask this because we have a couple of high schools that rub down the balls before we arrive, we also have a tradition that the base umpire normally rubs down at least some of the game balls AND we have ONE school that does not allow the PU ANY balls (yep, the home coach holds a gamer in his hands and throws it to the pitcher from the bench after a ball leaves the field of play).

[Edited by Tim C on May 4th, 2005 at 08:52 AM]
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

I don't, because I don't get them

The visiting starting pitcher gets one, the home starting pitcher gets one, and the third one I get is usually a "used ball".

I also haven't seen a shiny baseball.

I've been with my current association for 3 years now, not a one has done (until last night) it since I joined. When I worked LL/Pony before that, I did it religiously. When I saw the more experienced partners not doing it, I thought maybe it wasn't a very good procedure. Anyone I would ask would always give me the same answer "I don't do it". Nobody could give me an answer of why or why not. I just went with the flow.

Then I found this forum.

I've learned (or should I say unlearned) more in the last 6 months of reading this forum from guys like you Tee than I have in the 5-6 years I've been on the field. I know since I'm relatively new to this association I'm not being paired up with the best of umpires and I have a lot still to learn. Which is why I brought this up.

I knew I could get a "why" or "why not" here. I want to advance to the next level. I want to do it right.

Also since I've been adjusting my mechanics to what I read here, I'm getting "better" assignments. I think some higher ups are taking notice of my improvements. I want to continue that trend.

This wasn't even on my mind until last night, so I figured I'd run it by you guys and maybe get a straight answer finally, it looks like I did, thank you again.

[Edited by aevans410 on May 4th, 2005 at 09:37 AM]
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

The high school and youth teams in this area want a shiny new ball to start the game, so I don't rub them down. The adult league wants them rubbed down, so one of the umpires (usually PU) will do it.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

At the high school level, each pitcher gets a ball and we get two additional. I rub my two balls and let the pitchers worry about their own.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: OK,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
aevans410:

Let me get this straight:

You don't rub down the game balls before the game?

If you don't who does?

I ask this because we have a couple of high schools that rub down the balls before we arrive, we also have a tradition that the base umpire normally rubs down at least some of the game balls AND we have ONE school that does not allow the PU ANY balls (yep, the home coach holds a gamer in his hands and throws it to the pitcher from the bench after a ball leaves the field of play).

[Edited by Tim C on May 4th, 2005 at 08:52 AM]
Tee,

I would find a reason not to umpire at that school. I hold the baseballs, not the coach.

I'm spoiled. Most of my college games there's a box of baseballs already rubbed down and I take however many I want. That's about six, maybe more if I'm wearing a plate coat. HS games start usually with 4 -- the base umpire usually rubs them down if they aren't already -- most of the time they are.

--Rich
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
The high school and youth teams in this area want a shiny new ball to start the game, so I don't rub them down. The adult league wants them rubbed down, so one of the umpires (usually PU) will do it.
Shiny new balls are slippery and dangerous. I'd rub them down anyway.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
At the high school level, each pitcher gets a ball and we get two additional. I rub my two balls and let the pitchers worry about their own.
Jeez, Garth, when you set one up this well there's no park that's gonna hold it in.

OK, OK, I feel obligated. Let's see:

Wonder if Tee's going to have to rub his two balls now that.....nah, too easy.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I wondered when that was gonna happen .
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Garth B
I rub my two balls and let the pitchers worry about their own. [/i]

hehehehe......

hahaha i know, i'm childish.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

haha dang, Rich beat me to it!
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I will rub the 2 baseballs down that I get from the coach as the PU. If I am in the field I will take one and do it. It is a mix as far as whether or not my partner does. Nothing wrong woth rubbing them down. I figure better grip by the pitcherm better chance he throws strikes.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 12:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not rub down the baseballs. In most cases each pitcher already has a baseball to warm up with. I might get another 1 or 2 baseballs from the home coach. I usually do not have enough time or concern with the baseballs to go through all the trouble.

Peace
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
Shiny new balls are slippery and dangerous. I'd rub them down anyway.
exactly and keeps the pitcher from trying to do it and then you have to do it in front of everyone and that just wastes time.

Thanks
David
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies, all of you have been very helpful.