The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Illegally batted ball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/20110-illegally-batted-ball.html)

akalsey Tue May 03, 2005 12:49pm

In OBR, if a batter bunts the ball with one foot entirely outside the batter's box, the batter is out (OBR 6.06), but is the ball still live? Is it different OBR vs Fed? Please provide rules or casebook references.

I swear I've read something in a casebook that covers this, but now I can't find it.

Rich Ives Tue May 03, 2005 01:15pm

Dead ball in OBR 5.09(d)

jicecone Tue May 03, 2005 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by akalsey
In OBR, if a batter bunts the ball with one foot entirely outside the batter's box, the batter is out (OBR 6.06), but is the ball still live? Is it different OBR vs Fed? Please provide rules or casebook references.

I swear I've read something in a casebook that covers this, but now I can't find it.

Look under 7.3.2 and dead ball table in the middle of the rule book

akalsey Tue May 03, 2005 01:36pm

Thanks guys. I knew I'd seen it somewhere but I couldn't come up with a reference when pressed.

GarthB Tue May 03, 2005 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by akalsey

Remember the foot not only needs to be entirely out of the batter's box, but it also must be on the ground at time of contact.

The exception is in FED where if the foot is touching the plate, the batter is out, whether or not it is completely out of the batter's box.

Dave Hensley Tue May 03, 2005 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by GarthB
The exception is in FED where if the foot is touching the plate, the batter is out, whether or not it is completely out of the batter's box.
And that exception is a great example of a gratuitous and just downright silly FED rule difference. With that exception, it is impossible to accurately draw the "legal" batter's box unless you know the particular batter's shoe size. Sheesh.

DG Tue May 03, 2005 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Hensley
Quote:

And that exception is a great example of a gratuitous and just downright silly FED rule difference. With that exception, it is impossible to accurately draw the "legal" batter's box unless you know the particular batter's shoe size. Sheesh.

The batter's box is the batter's box. Shoe size is irrelevant.

mbyron Tue May 03, 2005 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by DG
The batter's box is the batter's box. Shoe size is irrelevant.
So you're saying size doesn't matter?

bob jenkins Wed May 04, 2005 07:01am

Quote:

And that exception is a great example of a gratuitous and just downright silly FED rule difference.
It's also the NCAA rule.

GarthB Wed May 04, 2005 09:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

And that exception is a great example of a gratuitous and just downright silly FED rule difference.
It's also the NCAA rule.

And I'm sure FED and NCAA has reason they do not consider gratuitous. For one, what business does the batter have standing in the strike zone?

Kaliix Wed May 04, 2005 11:31am

Having part of a foot touch the plate does not necessarily mean any other part of the body is in the strike zone.

Parts of the batters body enter the strike zone all the time swinging at outside pitches. What's your point?

It's a silly rule...

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

It's also the NCAA rule.

And I'm sure FED and NCAA has reason they do not consider gratuitous. For one, what business does the batter have standing in the strike zone?

GarthB Wed May 04, 2005 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaliix
Having part of a foot touch the plate does not necessarily mean any other part of the body is in the strike zone.

Parts of the batters body enter the strike zone all the time swinging at outside pitches. What's your point?

It's a silly rule...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thank you for your input.