The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Didn't want to hijack, so started a new one.

We have a skunk in the outfield, and pitcher simply ignores him and pitches. Grounder passes F4. R1 and F9 taking similar paths, ball hits something in the outfield and hits R1 (uninententional contact), just prior to F9 being able to field the ball, and likely throw out R1.

Your call?
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Let's see, 4 different boards - 4 different threads about the "skunk play". I think that it is time to call an exterminator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder

We have a skunk in the outfield, and pitcher simply ignores him and pitches. Grounder passes F4. R1 and F9 taking similar paths, ball hits something in the outfield and hits R1 (uninententional contact), just prior to F9 being able to field the ball, and likely throw out R1.

Your call?
The ball has passed an infielder (F4) other than the pitcher so the ball hitting R1 is live and in play.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

No call. It has passed an infielder and no other infielder has a chance to play on the ball.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Your call?
Depends on what you mean by "passes" and under what rules code you are playing.

In any event, it's the same ruling as R1 with a "normal" lead and the indfield playing in.

Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
ozzy & TwoBits,

Being the foolhardy coach that I am, I'm going to go way out on a limb and appeal your misapplication of the rules in failing to call the "skunk" out for offensive interference (after having my request for "time" granted, of course).

I believe you have misapplied Rule 2.0 Interference (a) Offensive Interference; Rule 6.08(d); Rule 7.08(b); and Rule 7.09(m).

That is, you have failed to call out the runner who interfered with the defense's opportunity to make a play on a batted ball by coming into contact with that ball while he is in fair territory.

You are misinterpreting the 7.09(m) exception because it only applies when the runner is immediately behind a fielder that the batted ball has gone "through or by" - this is clearly no the case here, regardless of whether the ball came within a "step and a reach" of F4 or passed between his legs.

Of course, the 6.08(d) exception only applies to the umpire, not the runner.

I presume you will correct your ruling by calling the runner out, awarding the batter 1B and returning any other runners to their TOP base. Yes?

Thank you for your consideration of my appeal.

JM
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

The infielder must have had the ball pass within reach AND the runner must be "immediately behind". "Immediately" can be interpreted, of course, but I can't see 50 feet meeting the meaning, so I think the skunk is skunked.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Your call?
Depends on what you mean by "passes" and under what rules code you are playing.

In any event, it's the same ruling as R1 with a "normal" lead and the indfield playing in.

Me, too.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
ozzy & TwoBits,

Being the foolhardy coach that I am, I'm going to go way out on a limb and appeal your misapplication of the rules in failing to call the "skunk" out for offensive interference (after having my request for "time" granted, of course).

I believe you have misapplied Rule 2.0 Interference (a) Offensive Interference; Rule 6.08(d); Rule 7.08(b); and Rule 7.09(m).

That is, you have failed to call out the runner who interfered with the defense's opportunity to make a play on a batted ball by coming into contact with that ball while he is in fair territory.

You are misinterpreting the 7.09(m) exception because it only applies when the runner is immediately behind a fielder that the batted ball has gone "through or by" - this is clearly no the case here, regardless of whether the ball came within a "step and a reach" of F4 or passed between his legs.

I presume you will correct your ruling by calling the runner out, awarding the batter 1B and returning any other runners to their TOP base. Yes?

JM
What drugs are you guys on and will you share them with the rest of us? I am not even going to argue this, coach. I have nothing to call this runner out with, he is behind the infielders and there is no rule that says he can't be there. He did not interfere, the ball hit something and was deflected. You are incorrect with YOUR application of the rules. I respectfully deny your appeal, let's get back to the game, coach.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:
ozzy & TwoBits,

JM
What drugs are you guys on and will you share them with the rest of us? I am not even going to argue this, coach. I have nothing to call this runner out with, he is behind the infielders and there is no rule that says he can't be there. He did not interfere, the ball hit something and was deflected. You are incorrect with YOUR application of the rules. I respectfully deny your appeal, let's get back to the game, coach.
I'm with Ozzy on this one I would say. It is hard to say since the situation is weak at best. The ball went past F4, well did he have a chance to field it?? It also passes F3, did he have a chance to field it?? The ball deflected into the runner so it seems to me the deflection caused F9 to not be able to field it, not the runner, that's if F9 was in actual position to field the ball.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 09:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:
ozzy & TwoBits,

JM
I'd protest if I were the coach if this was an OBR game.

While there are no infielders in place to play the ball, the ball hitting the runner can affect play by the outfield.

Current professional interpretation is just what Rich Ives said -- a step and reach -- if the ball hits the runner otherwise, he's out for interference. Runners are expected to avoid batted balls except when they can't be reasonably expected to.

Since Bob replied as he did, I'll assume the FED interp may be different. I have to say, though, that I'd probably get this out even in a FED game.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 05:57pm
Administrator

Quote:

Your call?

Skunks in the outfield?? Why are earth were you letting the coaches sit in the outfield?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

This syllogism is NOT valid:

All rats are rodents.
All skunks are rodents.
Therefore, all skunks are rats.

Of course, this is based on traditional Aristotelian logic. I understand that rat logic is somewhat different
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mbyron
This syllogism is NOT valid:

All rats are rodents.
All skunks are rodents.
Therefore, all skunks are rats.

Of course, this is based on traditional Aristotelian logic. I understand that rat logic is somewhat different

Hahaha, just aced that final! So, don't make me do any more trees, derivations, or translations than i have to do. I'm done thinking until September.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books available right this moment...

But I believe the FED rule says somehting about "and no other fielder has an opportunity to make a play."

Kind of like the 3rd baseman, playing up, misses a grounder to his left. The ball hits the runner, However the shortstop is behind the runner moving to his right to make a play.... I'm thinking coach is probably correct. Yes, the ball has passed "a" fielder but there is another that can make a play. In his original scenario it was F9.

Somebody needs to look up the FED rule. I'll check back tomorrow.

Old Mon May 02, 2005, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

I'm wrong

The rule specifically says "another infielder."

The runner is out...
8-4-2k
is contacted by a fair batter ball before it touches an infielder, or after it passess any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire is convinced that another infielder has a play (5-1-1f, 6-1-5)

2003 NFHS rules book