The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

At the risk of being frowned upon by my colleagues I will ask this very simple question.

What texts (rules reference and mechanics) should I have in my library? Like many others who are on this board I am trying to improve my craft and would like to know what are the minimum references to have at hand.
At the present time my library includes:
The 2001 edition of the Babe Ruth rule book & casebooks
The NAPBL (before it changed to PBUC - is there any new information in the PBUC that is not in the NAPBL?)
Umpire's Guide Book Vol. II - Mark Ambrosius
Smart Baseball Umpiring - George Demetriou

From what I gather the J/R and JEA are not available, yet many rules interps are presented from these two sources. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Definitely get The Rules of Baseball by David Nemec. It is the best baseball book I have ever read, and it will give you a historical viewpoint on the rules.

The most recent OBR, of course. If you care about FED rules, get the most recent FED rules, casebook, and umpires manual.

Jim Evans Annotated, of course, but you can't get it. Ever. Jaksa/Roder: e-mail Rick Roder to buy it for $25.

[Edited by Patrick Szalapski on Mar 19th, 2001 at 04:06 PM]
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Patrick,

Thanks for your reply, when I clicked on Jim Evans Annotated I was taken to Amazon.com and they have Evans book (to be published November 2000) for $69.50 I do not know if they are still offering it or not but that is what I came across. Also I tried to email Rick Roder through the link presented in your post could not get there. If anyone has his email or snail mail address please let me know. thanks

[Edited by Thane Yennie on Mar 19th, 2001 at 04:33 PM]
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thane Yennie
What texts (rules reference and mechanics) should I have in my library? ---[snip]---

At the present time my library includes:
The 2001 edition of the Babe Ruth rule book & casebooks
The NAPBL (before it changed to PBUC - is there any new information in the PBUC that is not in the NAPBL?)
Umpire's Guide Book Vol. II - Mark Ambrosius
Smart Baseball Umpiring - George Demetriou

From what I gather the J/R and JEA are not available, yet many rules interps are presented from these two sources. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thane,

In addition to the great suggestions made by Patrick, I believe you should include the Manual for the Two Umpire System from the PBUC UDP. This covers the Pro mechanics and coverage for all situations and is a good basis for further study of various mechanics systems.

Since the PBUC Umpire Manual provides the only source of "official" interpretations outside of those few reported in the JEA and BRD (see below), the latest version of the PBUC/NAPBL manual is also considered a must for OBR-based leagues.

Finally, and most importantly, Baseball Rules Differences by Carl Childress is an invaluable tool for rules interpretations across the major codes and within each code. It can be obtained from RightSports Inc, owners of this board, at eUmpire.com.

Cheers,
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

try this.....

Rick Roder
P.O.Box # 2
Remsen, Ia 51050

and, Send $25.00

Quote:
Patrick,

Thanks for your reply, when I clicked on Jim Evans Annotated I was taken to Amazon.com and they have Evans book (to be published November 2000) for $69.50 I do not know if they are still offering it or not but that is what I came across. Also I tried to email Rick Roder through the link presented in your post could not get there. If anyone has his email or snail mail address please let me know. thanks

Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson
Finally, and most importantly, Baseball Rules Differences by Carl Childress is an invaluable tool for rules interpretations across the major codes and within each code. It can be obtained from RightSports Inc, owners of this board, at eUmpire.com.

Cheers,
Warren:

Ty has a personally autographed copy of the BRD, which I handed to him in person in his living room when I did the Green River baseball clinic last April.

Since he left it out of his list, he ain't get another free one from me when I go back to Wyoming next year.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Sorry Carl!! I was typing my list at school, away from my nightstand full of books and just spaced it out. But you know I am still missing page 20. When you sent pages 19 and 20 last year, I only got page 19. Sorry once again for the oversight.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Patrick,

Thanks for your reply, when I clicked on Jim Evans Annotated I was taken to Amazon.com and they have Evans book (to be published November 2000) for $69.50 I do not
What they have there is a failure to communicate--i.e. between the publisher and Amazon. I provided the link as a courtesy only.

It's not a $70 book anyway.

P-Sz
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Free Stuff??

Hey Carl....

If you gave Ty a FREE BRD when you wnet to Wyoming, I would imagine you must be briging me up a bunch of stuff when you come to Nova Scotia in May!

Blaine