The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

HS FED game last night. R2, BR hits ball in gap between left and center. R2 scores easily. Outfielder throws ball to 3B. Now, I am PU and I am not sure if BR has attained 2B before ball left outfielders hand. I don't think that he had. But by the time ball bounced in front of third baseman and then took a high hop off of his shoulder and cleared the fence (DBT) the BR was approx 3-4 feet passed second. An obvious two base award from time of infraction. But when does this start? Does it start from when outfielder released ball or from when it cleared the fence? As PU, I had moved up the third base line in case of a play at third. Our mechanic is when R2 had touched home, then move up to help BU if there is a play at third. He can stay with BR in case of a play at second. I probably messed this one up, but I awarded BR home and my reasoning was that he had achieved 2B when ball went into DBT. But on way home I began to wonder if TOI begins when ball is released by defensive player. Any ideas?
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

The award is from the TOT -- the time the ball leaves the fielder's hand.

It's BU's job to know where BR was at this time. It's also good for you to know, if you have completed other higher-priority tasks.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, you blew this one.

2 bases from when the throw left the fielder's hand on this play.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
It's a time of throw award. If BR has attained 2nd base when the outfielder throws award him home. The ball bouncing off F5 won't make any difference unless F5 gave it the impetus to help it out of bounds.

Try it you won't like it though. I awarded the BR home with the winning run last year on a throw into the dugout by F7. I am no longer on the coaches x-mas card list.

Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

great, thanks. I will stick this in the memory bank and learn from it. Next time I will be more conscience of when the ball leaves the defenders hand. By the way, coach said absolutely nothing to me. Got by with the mistake, won't make it again.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

just to let you know, talked with BU and he said that runner had achieved second before TOT. Sounds like I got it right for the wrong reason. Boy, that doesn't happend very often
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by scyguy

HS FED game last night. I probably messed this one up, but I awarded BR home and my reasoning was that he had achieved 2B when ball went into DBT. But on way home I began to wonder if TOI begins when ball is released by defensive player. Any ideas?

For the most part, awarded bases are from either TOP - Time of Pitch or TOT - Time of Throw.

You asked for ideas so my main recommendation would be for you to review the FED rule-book / case Book. In the FED rule book they have an Awards Table that tells one how many bases a player gets and whether the award is from TOP or TOT. There are also Case plays on the aforemetnioned subject matter.

Pete Booth
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
But by the time ball bounced in front of third baseman and then took a high hop off of his shoulder and cleared the fence
Wouldn't it be cute if the coach argued that the TOT was when it bounced off the 3rd baseman????