The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Why do the simple things get your in the most trouble?

9th grade game. I'm PU.

Situation.

1 out, bases empty. Batter swings and misses 3rd strike, ball gets by the catcher and batter makes it to 1st base. Before next batter comes up, catcher asks me how many outs. I check my indicator and then look you my official book to confirm (My partner was no help, forgot his indicator) 2 down? He says yeh! I tell catcher yells "2 down" which is then repeated by every player including coaches. Next pitch R1 steals. Next pitch, liner to SS, R2 moving on the pitch thinking 2 outs. NOT.

Here is where sh!t hits the fan.

O coach tells R2 to stay on the base. D players run off the field. I call "Time" and go to the book. He says "Oh, there was only 1 out". ROT ROH

I had the D take the field stating that was only the 2nd out. The ***. coach starts yelling, "our player could have stepped on 2nd for the 3rd out!" I wanted to say, "well why didn't he?" But I knew I blew it. I look at the Manager and say "Coach, you are the Manager, correct?" He smiles and says "Yes". I tell him "I will talk to you, but I'm not gonna listen to your ***. coach from 90 ft away. If you wanna talk to me coach, I will be happy to explain the situation to you".

Well here he comes. I tell him "I blew it coach, there's nothing more I can say except I blew it, I'm sorry. Because your player did not tag the runner or the base during the time the ball was live, I could not rule the runner out. Play will continue with 2 outs and R2".

(R2 ends up scoring building their lead to 7 after 5)

He says, "ok" and heads back to the dugout. I was in shock!

I would have had a hard time tossing him because of my screw up. He missed his chance, he could have gave me a real a$$ chewing and I probably would have just took it.

But now it's time to get the chewin here!

Give it to me!

ps: D team ended up losing by 6 which helps ease the pain.

[Edited by thumpferee on Apr 25th, 2005 at 06:46 PM]
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Loose your indicator. It is a crutch, and as you can see, it is not a very reliable one.

Head in the game - remember the activities that led to the outs.

When someone asks that question ("Hey Blue, how many outs?") it always feels like they want an immediate answer - the average umpire looks at his clicker-indicator-thing-a-ma-bob and rotely reads it to the requestor. And then starts questioning himself as to whether it was the correct answer or not.

I don't use an indicator. I've lately taken to spending the time to get the correct answer. I recall the plays and where the outs occurred. (Additionally, I will try to remind myself by indicating the number of outs before every - other new batter.) Confirm with my partner. Confirm with a scorekeeper that is actually old enough to know he has 10 fingers and is paying attention to the game.

Crap happens.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

crap happens and its equally their responsibility to know the situation. They are all experienced ball players and coaches and have score keepers and fans and everything else.. youre only 1 you.

You blew it.. but so did they and it is their problem so they should make sure its squared away.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm a little confused by the actions of R2. If he was running on the pitch that was line to F6, did he remain on third or retreat to second?

If it was the former, then the defense could still appeal even after the number of outs was corrected.

Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
I'm a little confused by the actions of R2. If he was running on the pitch that was line to F6, did he remain on third or retreat to second?

If it was the former, then the defense could still appeal even after the number of outs was corrected.

After the catch, SS ran off the field past R2 between 2nd and 3rd. The O coach told R2 to get back on the bag. He seemed to be the only one who knew how many outs there were.